+ Reply to Thread

extended warranties for hybrid

Have just purchased a new camry hybrid and am being pressured to buy a toyota extended warranty for 7years or 100,000 miles for $1685.
    Argument is that this is new technology and need to repace failed computers and other eleectrical components cannot be determined and would be expensive.

I know the Prius has been out there for a while. What is the experience of these or other hybrid owners?
    If given another chance would they have bought the extended warranty and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I bought my accord hybrid used with 6k on it. The credit union offered the same warranty for $1k. I originally bought it from the dealer but the credit union was cheaper and had NO deductible. The dealers had a $50 deductible.

You probably already have an extended warranty on the hybrid components. My Ford Escape Hybrid has a 3yr/36K bumper to bumper warranty, but also an 8yr/100K warranty on the hybrid components. Plus, I'm in a green state which mandates that the hybrid warranty is extended (free of charge) to 10yr/150K!

Check the vehicle's warranty closely, as well as any additional automatic extensions if you're in a green state.

The Ford Escape Hybrid doesn't cover many expensive parts of the hybrid system. Read your warranty carefully. My 2005 FEH warranty covers only the battery, DC voltage converter, and the eCVT. I opted for the extended warranty.

I'd buy it.

I bought a used Prius and I bought the extended warranty. I don't want to be in a position where I'm saying to myself "WHY DIDN'T I?!"

Extended Warrantee Scam BEWARE!!!

I bought a Prius in August. When I sat down with the dealer’s Credit Manager to do the paperwork I got a nasty surprise. He pulled out a 3-fold pamphlet that listed all of the things the factory warrantee DIDN’T cover, told me the standard 36/36 warrantee wasn't much good and pressured me into buying an extended warrantee for $1675. Also told me that I could only buy the extended warrantee at deal closing -- if I waited til a later date I would wind up with a "used car warrantee" which “wasn't as good”! So I bought it because I figured I could do some research and cancel it if I chose to. Put it on my credit card. Called Toyota and asked them if their standard 36/36 warrantee was so full of holes that ANOTHER warrantee was needed to prevent disaster. They assured me it was not. Also assured me that I could buy the extended at ANY time before the original warrantee expired! So I cancelled the extended and Toyota sent me a check (less $25 service fee). Then I found out that the Credit Mgr. had double charged me -- he slipped ANOTHER $1675 into the bank's auto finance package!!

Is the Extended Warrantee Toyota's idea or the dealer's? I don't know. But BEWARE of this scam!!

I bought the Honda Care factory warranty @ 6 years 120000 miles.
    Due to high mileage use of my car. I have canceled my extended warranty.

But we should all note the

But we should all note the circumstances so that we can possibly be better prepared in the future.

First note the timing, at closing, perhaps when you had started to relax after stressful negotiations over details of finance, credit checks, co-signers etc. And you can be sure that he was sitting behind a big desk, in front of a computer running all the details of all the possible packages, with a degree of assurance and confidence never available to the poor customer who can never be sure that he has achieved full and adequate price discovery. In these times it is easy to feel f**ked nearly every time. And then this guy starts hitting you with BS over an extended warranty. This starts to sound like getting whip-sawed as in good and bad treatment. It is a bad situation, not to be minimized, but such people are practiced at slipping it to you so quickly and smoothly that one hardly has time to respond.

Sort of like this guy had you by the balls. Fortunately when one is buying a car he can walk. In contrast, at closing for a house, things are worse unless one is perfectly prepared and that is impossible. I don’t believe in running credit for anything anymore.

I personally believe in having all the money in cash to close on a car, screw them and any offers of credit, chances of getting screwed are too high. All of the details need to be settled well before closing so one can look them in the eye and tell them to stick it, if that is what it takes, if some guy starts telling me that he is doing me favor by offering me this fantastic one time offer.

Have you no recourse to getting the extended policy canceled?

I just bought a used 07

I just bought a used 07 Camry hybrid at a small car lot. It has 79K miles on it, and I want to buy an extended warranty to cover everything - including the hybrid charging system. My preference is to get a Toyota bumper-to-bumper extended warranty, but price is a factor. Does anyone have any info or experience with this? Also - I live in California - is it a "green" state where my 100K hybrid warrarnty will be be extended to 150K miles by law, as someone mentioned in a previous post?

I am considering buying a

I am considering buying a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. With other vehicles I have owned, I have traded them in within 4-5 years and approximatel 80K miles. I am curious about what the resale market might look like then. I am feeling that I would like the extended waranty for the peace of mind it brings with new technology. I very much like my present Highlander and I assume I would like the newer one even more with the additional new features.
    Any thoughts?