+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Camry Hybrid vs Camry V6 XLE

I don't know anything about the Prius. The dash and interior is too weird for me, so I don't even consider Prius. Most of my cars recently have been BMWs. This is my first Camry. For driving experience, the BMW will out corner, out accelerate, service is better, and is ergonomic top of the line. That said, the Camry is cheaper, get's much better gas milage, has a roomy interior, and solid acceleration. It's fun to "pulse drive" the Camry and try to get gas milage above the EPA estimates. I have two cars in the garage, an 18 MPG BMW and a Camry. Since owning the Camry (Aug 06), I've put 2K miles on the BMW, and 12K miles on the Camry. The Camry is fun. Highway acceleration and passing is great. I can't see why anyone would want the V6 XLE version. Test drive the Camry Hybrid. If you're going to spend a bundle on the XLE V6 (why?), then consider an Avolon, BMW or a Lexus. But for me, over 500 miles on a smaller tank of gas than the XLE, the hybrid is the way to go. I'll have a low milage BMW for sale soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Trunk space

I knew the trunk space was reduced, but until I bought it and started to put stuff in, I didn't realize how small it really was. I'm not sure yet whether a suitcase will even fit in there?

But I figured I could live with that for the amount of times I need the extra trunk space.

I love this car. Use cruise control whenever you can - the computer will do a better job than you at smooth acceleration. Drove from Boston to Hartford - with no stops. Set cruise control at about 65 MPH - ended up with 41.8 MPG for the trip!

'07 Camry Hybrid impressions at 5k miles

I've had my Camry Hybrid for 5 months (new in March, '07) and have put on just over 5,000 miles. The car is equipped with the standard Hybrid model equipment including cloth seats. I added FE (50 state emmisions), HM (heated outside mirrors) and SR (Moonroof Package includes: Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sliding Sunshade, Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors & Rear Personal Reading Lights). I chose to not get the leather and nav options. I paid $26,028 plus Ohio state fees and taxes. My previous car was a '99 Ford Contour that I drove for 8 years. Keep this in mind as you read the following review of my experience so far with the Camry Hybrid.

Pros:

Really enjoy the cabin tech; e.g. bluetooth, JBL radio (including AUX input), Smart Key (the best!) and instrument cluster indicators.

Roominess of passenger compartment.

Comfortable ride.

Fuel economy (averaging 41 MPG!).

I drive less aggressively trying to minimize the ICE (internal combustion engine) operation and maximize MPG. It's become a game with myself to maintain 35-40 MPH on suburban streets with just the traction motor operating; keep the needle of the "Fuel Economy Meter" on the "E MODE"; quickly increase the brightness of the arcs around the Fuel Economy Meter and Speedometer indicating greater fuel economy (see page 137 of the manual)!

Plenty of interior storage in console and dash.

No visible radio antenna.

Excellent value for the money.

Annoyances:

Turn signal almost inaudible.

Wind buffeting with rear windows open.

Small trunk (The price you pay for battery storage and a roomy passenger cabin).

Weak climate control fan.

When the Air Intake Selector is set to Fresh (indicator light off), warm, stale air comes out of the instrument panel vents even if the outside air is cool.

Instrument panel hard to read when wearing sunglasses.

After letting up on the accelerator pedal and coasting towards a stop, lightly touching the brake pedal as you are braking to a stop, the car suddenly seems to slightly speed up as if something has been disengaged such as the traction motor. This is a very subtle feeling and took several weeks of driving to realize.

Despite searching for a .pdf version of the Owner's Manual, I have not been able to locate one. There is an online version that is hard to navigate at http://toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm. The video at this site will be very helpful to new owners who are too impatient to fully read the printed manual. I was able to "print" the individual manual sections from this video to a printer configuration set as "PDF Fill PDF Writer" which saves the output as a .pdf file (308 pages).

I also bought my camry hybrid in March 07, but I have 17000 miles on mine. I drive around 1100 miles each week. I love the car. I avg 39 to 40 mpg--calculated by the car and myself on paper. I bought every option available.

2007 Camry Hybrid

I just purchased a slightly used 2007 TCH. It has 2,600 miles, and I love it. I've been researching hybrids a bit and this car seems like a great balance to me. 40+ mpg so far with 2 days work commute (70% highway, 30% city).

I love my Camry. I did not buy it to take the family on a rode trip, that is what the Excursion is for. But running around town, going back and forth to work and running the kids to their things it is great. The trunk is much smaller than the regular camry, but it will hold several chairs and smaller bags. I drive about 440 miles per week, a tank of gas in the Camery, about $40 now, the Excursion $140 every week, do the math.......

Looking at buying a 09

Looking at buying a 09 hybrid camry and I have some questions which I hope someone can answer. Here they are:

Is everyone still happy with them? Is mileage really good?

Any problems with the electric motor or battery system?

Are they worth the extra money?

Are there any special maintenance costs you have encountered?

Thank you for all your help.

camry hybrid are great

camry hybrid are great vehicles the luxury the style everything is just right. we get a lot of compliments from them. im a sells rep at a rental car place that only rents out hybribs. www.simplyhybrid.com we are based in los angeles. again great reviews on the car.

I'm averaging 38.5 for the

I'm averaging 38.5 for the first 9,000 miles. The car should be the same cost to maintain as a standard Camry and possibly cheaper as the brakes are not used as much. With the warmer weather we are having now my average per tank is running around 40.5 to 41.5 vs. the 36 to 37 during the winter (bought the car in late October). Can't wait for summer formulation gas and warmer temps to see how things go.