+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CAMRY HYBRID - WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Prius with
    a few upgrades, or the Camry Hybrid - roomier and more luxurious for not much more money. Any personal reviews of the new Camry?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

If you wanted more mileage for your gas, then Prius; however if you wanted more mileage and comfort/luxury, then go for Camry Hybrid.
    I got my Hybrid on June 10 and up to this date I continually monitor my gas ==> my Camry gives me 37-38mpg on my daily commute of about 100 mile/day from Brentwood to Fremont in the BayArea. The comfort, safety features and other ammenities built in on the Camry are comparable to other high-end cars. Bluetooth, Vehicle Stability Control, Side-wall, knee and seat airbags, Tire-Pressure monitoring, Keyless are the features I like most.
    Toyota dealer yards do not have enough stocks yet for Camry such that you need to "reserve" with them. I heard that Car Rental companies are buying all Hybrids!
    Bottom line: I did not regret buying Camry and in fact I love it.

Been reading some other sites on the subject. Camry seems a nice compromise between power and mileage, with many drivers getting 37-40+ mpg and close to 200 hp performance.

That would make it a good road trip car, or passing lane car that just happens to get high end compact car mileage.

Which means it is a pretty darn good "everyman/woman" solution versus a purely green statement.

I got the Camry Hybrid last week, thus far avg 37.8 mpg, though was at 40mpg when driving more of a highway/city combo, especially with cruise control and downhill. Going to TN next week so should get a real highway test and mountain test. After about 3 miles the car will remain in stealth mode for most of my city driving under 40 mph.

The big draw for me is actually the carpool lane sticker. The ability to shave half an hour off my commute each way trumps anything. In CA, only three hybrids qualify: Prius, Insight, and Civic. Of the three, Civic is the most car-like. So I drive a Civic. If it weren't for the carpool lane sticker, I would go for a Camry Hybrid without question.

I've had my Camry for about four weeks. My first tank got 36.7 mpg which I thought was fantastic for a first tank (supposedly it improves with time.) The car is comfortable and rides nicely.

I was very tempted with the Honda Civic hybrid which had more upgrades (like navigation) for less money and far better mileage. Decided to take the Camry. It was tough because when either of them came in it was take it now or someone else would. So I couldn't go back down the street and drive the Honda again because it was long gone.

Just recently rode in brand new Hybrid Camry in TN on winding, steep hills and Interstate. Worth mentioning are 5 star crash ratings front and side.

Very smooth, very powerful in the mid range, very quiet, very comfortable and amenities all over the place. Dual zone air conditioning/digital climate control, electric everything, Bluetooth, GPS, very sophisticated color display screen for nearly every function in the vehicle including the CD player.

Little vanity/map reading lights front and back. Mirror lights, door lights to avoid getting sideswiped exiting and to spot puddles. Big trunk altho I wish the space were used for some PHEV batteries. If you want luxury, look no further. Outperforms Lexus ES. Lexus GS hybrid must be mind numbing.

I also had a hard time deciding between the Prius and Camry hybrid. In the end, I decided based on the type of driving I do - daily commute on two of LA's busiest freeways. The Camry's five-star crash ratings and extra size swayed me, since I feel like I need all the protection I can get on that commute. The extra power can also help keep you out of trouble on the freeway. So, I decided to trade off a bit of fuel efficiency for extra safety. If I was doing a milder commute, especially in the city, I would have gone for a Prius.
    Having made that decision, I bought a Camry a month ago. I couldn't be more pleased! It is a wonderful car - quiet, all the power I need, luxurious, lots of nice tech features. The various feedbacks to gas mileage are great (should be standard in all cars), so I'm driving a bit more conservatively than before, but still going with the flow of LA traffic. I've only filled the tank once, but got 38.3 mpg. So far, I'm doing a bit better on the current tank. This is about 90% freeway driving, not necessarily ideal for a hybrid, but there's frequent stop-and-go driving, which seems to improve my mpg.
    The Camry Hybrid is a normal car, and you can drive it without even paying attention to its hybrid state, and I'm sure the mileage would be very goodstill. But some minor, fairly inconsequential changes to driving style lets you get excellent mileage, especially for such a nice family-sized car.

Camary Hybrid

We bought our Camry Hybird after going through the same debate. Prius or Camry. In the end we ordered the Camry and was put on a waiting list. Just remember one thing if you are going to spend 30 grand for this car GET THE COLOR AND OPTIONS YOU WANT! The dealer will call from time to time that one has shown up and is available if you are flexible. (ie color or options) Just wait for the car you ordered. After a 4 month wait, our Camry arrived. The car is wonderful. We routinely get 38 MPG average in combined highway and city driving. I have even squeezed as much as 42 MPG out of her. The extra room and luxuries are worth every penny. The Camry is a great compromise between size, comfort, style, economy and environmentally friendly car. Plus it does not have, what I call, the "space buggy" look of the Prius. We plan to purchase another Camry Hybird next year.

Vic.............................

pick the camry

The big difference would be the ride quality. I also have a highlander hybrid and a rav-4. The rav-4 is fun to zip around town in and parks and turns so easy,but on a hwy trip from minn to las vegas the rav-4 was not even close to the highlander for comfort. I think it would be the same with camry vs prius