+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

remote start in 06 Honda Civic Hybrid?

Does anyone know of any potential issues with installing a remote start system in a 2006 HCH? From what I understand, it doesn't typically use it's conventional starter for normal startups, but when the IMA battery is low, it does use a conventional starter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Any answers to your question?

Hi Tom.

Did you ever get any replies to your question on the remote starter? Did you end up installing one? If so, can you recommend a particular starter?

Thanks,

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaparker View Post
    Hi Tom.

Did you ever get any replies to your question on the remote starter? Did you end up installing one? If so, can you recommend a particular starter?

Thanks,

John
    I don't want to seem insulting here, but the very principle is challenging and even contradictory...

Adding a remote starter to one of the greenest automobiles available today is not a very "green" thing to do.

I am sorry, but I cannot see the logic or technical merit of such retrofit except to help undo the benefits such cars offer, just for the sake of convenience.

Cheers;

MSantos

MSantos, You shouldn't judge

MSantos,

You shouldn't judge others when you don't know their situation. Pre-judging is a common problem with ultra-greenies. This would not undo any green merit from owning a hybrid - we need to tone down the religion that is environmentalism in this country. Some people live in very cold areas and need to warm up their cars before driving it or before putting their young kids in. I have a HCH and I think you should mind your own business.

Kurt

Hi Kurt Installing and using

Hi Kurt

Installing and using a remote starter leads to extended periods of idling.

Idling any vehicle is just one of the many problems we are saddled with. We waste too much and many times we do it simply because we can. Many of us do it because we don't know of a suitable alternative, the other times we do it because we simply don't care.
    Fortunately, it is not just those who've been fighting for decades against these problems. Now you have large business and governments instituting regulations and laws prohibiting idling. This is being done because it is the right thing to do for a variety of good reasons (and many more that I will not list):
    - Idling damages the car (particularly the emissions system)
    - Idling wastes fuel and places the vehicle in a ZERO miles per gallon state for long periods of time.
    - Idling pollutes the environment when the vehicle is at its worst (emissions are fuel consumption rate).
    - Idling is a bad example and hardly something for us to be promoting in the times we live in.

Lastly, a remote starter on a Civic Hybrid is not only not easily feasible but also technically not supported by Honda. Toyota does not support it in the Prius either.

You can check here for some additional info:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ing.cfm?attr=8
    and here
    http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ng.cfm?attr=16

And here's an article about winter tips to save fuel and money and still remain comfortable :
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17560

Cheers;

MSantos

I agree. No need for a

I agree. No need for a remote starter; just carry a pair of regular jumper cables. I had the original very small 12 volt battery go out on my 2000 Insight and then ran the IMA battery down in traffic. It went dead but just pulling to the side and turning off ALL electric draw for about 10 minutes and it restarted and got me going on gasoline. The second time I needed a jump start prior to replacing the 12 volt battery.

I have a civic 2004 hybrid

I have a civic 2004 hybrid and remote starter installed.
    today i just pressed the button as usual to start the car from the house and waited since -21c temperature cold outside.After few minutes i heard an beep from the remote that my car ignition stoped itself.
    I went to the car and seen and it really stopped.I pressed the button again from the remote to start and i heard starter motor was trying to start(i could hear the noise) but not succeed.
    It tried again and agian for few minutes but failed.Battery is very good and fully charged.I thought starter motor was the problem but later I seen my head light was keep flashing(with noise of dic dic dic......) and little by little brightness went down.
    I unplugged the battery(+ve terminal) to reset and few min later i conneted. as soon as connected to battery head light was flashing (as before with dic dic dic.....noise I made sure I did not press remote to start
    I know there is no problrm with starter or battery.
    Anybody know what was the problem?
    Very cold weather causeed any short circuit?....?

When the temperature is

When the temperature is below 20 degrees F (or just really cold in general), does the engine need to warm up at all? Should I always just turn it on and pull away or does that cause damage because engine fluids / parts are cold. Let's also assume that an engine block is not an option.

Thanks!

Hi brassman; The "old

Hi brassman;

The "old school" belief that damage is caused by not warming the car before driving off is no longer valid or good.
    In fact, warming up a car before driving off is absolute worst thing we can do to the car not to mention the harm it does to our wallet and the environment.

Here's some government info that you may want to read for confirmation:

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...-up.cfm?attr=8
    http://www.wheels.ca/article/19840
    http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...nal/idling.cfm

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks so much Msantos for

Thanks so much Msantos for your fast, great, and continued advice to this forum.