Like you say, ex-EV1 driver, the devil is always in the details, e.g., our different approaches.

It IS a shame to penalize someone who just runs the boat to and from the lake a few times a year. The problem is, however, that person is probably the same one driving it daily. Very few can afford a $30,000 behemouth used a few times a year.

Current fuel taxes are basically for roads and bridges and the like. The other costs associated with burning fuel are real, but take years to show up and are then paid by everyone--some more than others. I would just like to see a little ($0.05-0.10/gal) tax on fuel and a comparable tax on vehicles so that these future costs can be reduced. And policies should be put in place to discourage the gas guzzlers and encourage highly fuel efficient vehicles. We don't have to outlaw gas guzzlers and sports cars, just make them pay proportionately more for the damage they will do.

I also think it would be a great idea to take those 'polluter fees' and use that money for tax incentives on the highest mileage vehicles available....may the top 5 or 10. That way the politicians don't have a chance to steal it and it gets used to help folks by the newest technology, which may be more expensive. It also creates a steady demand for these cars so auto companies have a reason to produce them.

Alternatively, we could take away the handouts we give to oil companies for drilling, shipping, etc. and use that money for tax incentives. That way total costs don't change....

(I sold my 1967 GTX with a 440cu in. engine about ten years ago and used the money to invest in oil companies when oil was $10/bbl!!! And when my father decides to sell his 1929 Pontiac, I will try to buy it!)