+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why Did We Do This To Ourselves? GAS!

I know we're all P.O'ed about gas prices but we did it to ourselves. Since the '70's I've always wondered... "How Much Oil Could There Be In That Hole"? We've lived by "Bigger Is Better" and hey, "Can't We Go Any Faster"? YEA! I want that 5 ton Godzilla with TV's and booming stereo and Who Gives a Rats Butt if it Only Gets 8 Miles to the Gallon... It's COOOOOL. My idea was I only need "X" amount of space or size. For many years it was an excuse for motorcycles, then sports cars. I could own and fuel "Godzilla" if I want but 85% of the miles on my car(s) are only with One Person. Don't be so influenced by what the neighbor ownes, think for yourself and justify what you drive (and the Cool factor does not carry the most weight).

Since I love to sail, I'll continue to drive my 50 mpg diesel (since 1998) until someone comes up with a wind powered car.

Captian Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have to agree - if people would match their vehicle more to their needs than their wants, we'd be in a lot better shape...

I agree. As long as we're willing to pay $3.00 or more per gallon, the oil companies will be more than willing to sell it to us. The best way to reduce your costs, and the price of oil, is to use as little as possible.

Market demand is key. We as consumers have the ultimate control. We just need to learn how to use it.

There are lots of car enthusiasts out there that simply won't change, no matter how bad gas prices get. Some people are into collecting things, some are into fantasy sports, some people happen to be into cars. Thats just the way it is. I can't stand people who hate those who choose to get v8's. Get over it. They enjoy it, and are obviously willing to pay the $$$. No ones stopping anyone from going out and getting a 4-banger. If gas continues to go up, more and more people are going to be force to give up thier driving thier trucks and SUV's on a dialy basis anyways.

Yes, there are a lot of car enthusiasts out there. That's fine....as long as they take responsibility for their choices. If they are going to pollute the air, cause kids to get asthma, cause the elderly to have more respiratory problems, cause soldiers to die for oil, and increase the rate of global warming--and all the related natural disaster costs--then they should be have to pay for those costs up front, in addition to the gasoline or diesel fuel they buy.

Those costs a real and calculable on large scales. So add those in to the price of fuel and the price of the vehicle, and I'll call it even! It may mean paying an extra $20,000 for a gas guzzler, but that's fine with me.

Wow dude, thatís pretty out-there. Car enthusiasts probably account for less than 5% of drivers, many of which drive sports cars, not SUV's and trucks. The bulk of sub-15mpg driving is done by soccer moms running errands all day in a Suburban. Not a guy with his 26mpg highway Mustang GT, or a 28 mpg highway Corvette C6. Both of these average over 20mpg on a tank of gas. Should I mention the import racing scene where most cars get near 30mpg? And did you know that most common performance modifications actually increase fuel economy?

There are 10-20 mothers using Chevy Tahoes as grocery-getters for every 1-2 guys with a lifted F-250's. Settle down. I made the comment originally to just say that there are some people who simply won't change their ways. I know it's convenient, but you can't blame all the Nations problems on car enthusiasts.

Ok Scott,

You seem to have a passion and a thought-out opinion but I'm not sure I understand your point.

I agree with your point that a few car nuts who take their babies out periodically or even regularly aren't causing the world's problems. My '52 MG pollutes horribly but the poor thing seldom leaves my garage - and it's the only such classic on the street. It is hardly a big problem to the world.

On the other hand, you mention that car enthusiasts aren't going to give up their beloved big iron. Why can't we respect people's collection and even a few weekend outings yet question or even 'hate' it when people abuse their freedoms and the planet by using pristinely clean cattle haulers and combat vehicles with luxury interiors to carry their briefcases 40 miles to and from work each day?

Of course, my preference would be for the car companies to make efficient vehicles with sufficient capacity and performance to make car enthusiasts appreciate them as well. Fortunately, Tesla Motors seems to be doing that and hopefully others will follow with other classes of efficient yet fun and useful vehicles.

ex-EV1 driver, I agree with you. The point you made regarding a 40-mile trip to transport one individual and his briefcase. Thats exactly what I was refering to when I mentioned a massive, 300hp SUV to run errands. Thats where the problem lies. There's no problem with having a weekend car. That is an incredibly small percentage of the driving that is done on a weekly basis in this country. There's nothing wrong with having a 68' Mustang in your garage for weekend rides or meets. There's nothing wrong with you and 4 buddies taking your Land Cruiser and towing a boat to the lake for the weekend.

Hey guys: The main point I was trying to make is that folks should have to take responsibility for what they drive, and how much they drive it. The "extra" costs due to burning fossil fuel are real and need to be paid by the person burning the fuel. Which in my mind should fall most heavily on the folks doing the most damage.

That's why I would like to see fees on gasoline (diesel, etc.) as some suggest, as well as on the vehicle, since we consciously choose to buy that SUV, Mustang or hybrid, and the world must live with the amount of fuel it will burn, and the amount of pollution it will generate over its lifetime.

Just to illustrate the point: if the most fuel efficient vehicle had a $1000 fee to help pay these external costs, and the Hummer (or Lamborghini?) had a $20000 fee, other vehicles would fall somewhere in between. Let the people who do the most damage, pay the most to help solve the problem.

Ok folks, I think we all have the same understanding of the basics here. The issue seems to be the approach.

It kind of seems a shame to penalize someone who just runs the boat to the river a few weekends a year just because some other clod uses the same truck model to drive daily to work or get a latte on her way to her hair appt. Personally, I believe that our current method of taxing gasoline is pretty fair - you proportionately pay for what you use. Perhaps the amounts aren't fairly distributed but there could be huge ramifications if you do mess with the ratios depending on vehicle type. We've already seen computations by politicians showing how much tax revenue will/is being lost because of this horrible influx of hybrids on the road as if it were a bad thing. If the markup for big vehicles is more than little ones, small minded politicians and bureaucrats will identify big vehicles with bigger revenue and further encourage them.

SUV sales are down 40% this year, I think John Q. Public is finally beginning to get it. Keep subtlely reminding your friends/colleagues of the costs you're saving with your hybrid (or miniature diesel) and I believe things will change.

Additionally, push your car dealers to continue to push for even better energy efficiency, performance, and convenience that can be achieved from plug-in vehicles. Make your friends and associates aware as well. Maybe a few auto enthusiasts will trade in their Lamborghini for a Tesla roadster for their weekend play car but even before Tesla's become affordable to the masses, I don't see the weekend car hobbyists as being a threat to our planet.

Maybe we should promote bumper stickers that say "my other car is a '68 Mustang" to proudly display on your Prius.