+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid Drivers on Avoiding Road Rage

I recently bought a 2006 Prius and just love it. I'm getting a sense of how to "power drive" it, which often involves slowing down or at least coasting whenever possible. It has changed the way I drive. For one thing, I now actually abide by the speed limit. But this often peeves other drivers off, espcially on the highway. I do not drive excessively slow; I just drive the speed limit (which perhaps in So Cal counts as excessively slow).

For the veteran hybrid drivers out there: How do you personally maximize your MPG while avoiding road rage? Or am I the only one who has changed the way I drive?!

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Liliana, the best way to avoid road rage is to drive at the consensus speed of the traffic. If you want to drive slower than the speed of the other cars in the lane you're in, move to a slower lane. (This may put you in the lanes with the big trucks, which will give you somebody to draft behind, giving you even better mileage!) Even though the big trucks may have a speed limit of 55, some of them may be doing 60 or 65. Whatever you do, do not drive slower than the big trucks - you will be creating a significant traffic hazard.

"For the veteran hybrid drivers out there: How do you personally maximize your MPG while avoiding road rage? Or am I the only one who has changed the way I drive?"

Paul is right, nobody should create a road hazard.
    Slower driving is only one piece of a tool in a whole toolbox.
    I'm currently getting upper 60's low 70's in my 2004 Civic Hybrid but did not learn how to do it overnight. I'm also -not- driving "normally".

But I am doing it in a safe, non-flaming way which was learned over 2.5 years.

A great website populated by folks who are more than willing to help you in your MPG quest is:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com

It's not a hybrid specific site, but most are driving hybrids.
    They have a volunteer databse which shows individual achievements over all cars.
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage

You certainly don't need to be as extreme as some of us but the more you apply the better results you will have.

-Steve

About this specific link for HCH drivers:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/maximizing...ic-hybrid.html

Lots of good advice there but the comment to use cruise control when ever possible is best if one has no interest in getting the highest numbers possible, or if living in hilly country.

Thank you so much for this incredibly useful advice. I've only had the Prius for about 2 months and there is so much to learn. I checked out all the links that were included and found them fascinating--especially regarding the "pulse and glide" mode and the drafting behind big trucks.

Thanks!

Hot Georgia,
    What's the problem with using cruise control? When do you think it should be used?

Thanks Bert.
    There is a method for driving hilly areas called driving with load:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/gloss...ossary&term=16

If the terrain is flat and level, DWL is useless. I live in N. Ga and is extremely hilly.

Another point is battery use.
    I hope to drive my Civic Hybrid +350,000 miles. Fact: The more a battery is used, the shorter it lasts.
    With that in mind CC digs deep into Assist on most hills and MPG drops into the 30's. On the downhill side often backs off for charging.
    Granted the drain is not very much per hill, the often draining-charging-draining-charging could shorten the life given my driving plans.
    Given the same hills driven manually along with DWL I avoid battery use completely while keeping in the 40-80MPG range.

I use CC briefly for relieving stress on my Right leg/foot on longer trips.

I can't give any advice regarding Prius, I don't own one but heard it is constantly giving-taking from the battery pack anyway. From what I've read and understand brads link is great.
    -Steve