+ Reply to Thread

Cost justification for hybrid

There was some noise about hybrids not getting their epa mileage but i haven't heard it lately.

My wife and I have a very long commute and we are on track for putting 60,000 miles on our Prius this year.

Gasoline prices aside, has anyone factored in the other financial benefits of a hybrid such as no brake pads to replace. How about reliability comparisons? I fully expect to put 300K miles on our prius before we trade it in.

PS Our Prius is getting pretty darn close to 50mpg. It loves Synthetic oil and regular gas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Rob, I had to replace the front brake pads on my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid at 75,000 miles. I would be surprised if your Prius doesn't also have "brake pads to replace." Granted, they will last a long time, but they will eventually wear out.

My secret for easily getting the EPA mileage - or better - on my hybrid is to drive at or below the speed limit. And my wife gets even better mileage on her 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid because her car has a manual transmission.

I read somewhere that the regenerative breaking does take some of the "stopping work" away from the brakes (I had wondered whether it was insignificant, but apparently not).

I get to drive in the HOV lanes - that means much less braking, since I hit the highway and may not need to touch the brakes for about 10 miles. That beats that stop-and-go driving in the sucker lanes that wore down my brakes to the rotors at about 20,000 miles in my last car.

Stretching out a $400 repair by a couple of years is definitely a financial perk.

Sue, I go about 35 miles in the carpool lanes every morning, sometimes never touching the brakes. Unfortunately I'm usually doing 75 MPH, so it doesn't save me as much gas as one might hope.

But this morning I left home a few minutes early and kept my speed on my 49-mile commute between 60 and 65 MPH - and got to work with 53.7 MPG on the meter (it was actually at 54.1 for a little while).

Would it not make more sense to have those suv's using the car pool lanes and leave those hybirds in regular traffic, The suv's are the ones burning all the gas... Keep those things moving. Hybird owners can use the electric motor therefore saving gas. seems like a win win here.

I haven't seen any economic analysis containing the data you mentioned, but I believe we can generate that data ourselves. Keep track of all your expenses and let us know some time. I have my expenses for my first 40,000 miles all on a spreadsheet.

One hidden cost many people don't realize is tires. Many vehicles are going to the low-profile, larger diameter ('sporty-looking') tires. They cost a lot more and don't last as long. Not a good choice in my mind. I can still get a set of 70,000 mile tires for about $400 for my Prius. You're not going to be able to do that for these 17" tires many cars have now.