+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Disabling Smart Key System in Camry

I understand the Prius has a button under the steering wheel. But I cannot find the button in the 2007 Camry Hybrid. So far neither Toyota or the dealer can give me a clue. I dont what to risk my 84 year old mother's health. she has a pacemaker.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi, I have a friend with a pacemaker and am in the same situation. Did you ever find a solution by chance? Thank you!

Heath

I have the same question about the Camry and a further one, that comes from the manufacturer of the pacemaker. Is there a metal barrier that separates the battery and inverter (that more efficiently converts DC to AC) from the passenger compartment? That is necessary for making it safe to sit especially in the back seat.

Craig and Heath and Collier: Please ask your dealer - and also Toyota Corporate - about this. In fact, send your questions to them by way of a certified letter / return receipt requested (it'll get their attention). Enclose any information you may have from a pacemaker manufacturer (Collier) re: pacemakers and hybrid cars.

The issue is called Extremely Low Frequency radiation (ELF) or Electro Magnetic Force (EMF) - see http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/elfradiation/hazards.html for a work-related discussion.

My understanding is that unless a pacemaker wearer is actually touching the conductors or the insulation over the conductors, the hazard is insignificant.

Here's a discussion from a pacemaker manufacturer of the effects of a chainsaw magneto or an arc welder on implantable pacemakers / defibrillators: http://www.medtronic.com/rhythms/daily_saw.html. Again, both exposures are from holding the device, not sitting as a passenger in a car.

Let us know what you get from the dealer or manufacturer.

I had this same concern since about twice a year I visit my parents (both w/ pacemakers). I saw in the TCH Owner's Manual it said that the dealer/service department could disable the SKS antenna system in this circumstance.

I wanted to know if I (underline) could disable it or would I need to pay $$$ every time my parents visited. Service/dealer/salesman didn't know. They finally got the idea that I wasn't going to let this question fade away.

They FINALLY contacted Toyota and found the instructions in the Service Manual (Door Lock - Smart Key System).

Here they are:

Precondition:
    Power switch OFF, driver side door closed and unlocked.

(a) Unlock the driver door once with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key.

(b) Open the driver door within 5 seconds.

(c) Unlock the driver side door twice with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key within 5 seconds.

(d) Repeat open -> close twice for the driver door within 30 seconds, and open again.

(Driver door: OPEN -> close -> OPEN -> close -> OPEN)

(e) Unlock the driver door twice with the UNLOCK switch of the electrical key within 5 seconds.

(f) Repeat OPEN -> close once for the driver door within 30 seconds, and open again.
    (Driver door: OPEN -> close -> OPEN)

(g) Close the driver door within 5 seconds.

When the electrical key cancel is activated, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds TWICE.

To return to the original condition, perform the procedures again. When the original condition is returned, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds ONCE.

(After watching the service department do this, I suggest having a Rum & Coke handy. It helps.)

Once this is done, the "old-style" remote keyless entry still works, but not the item whereyou need to be right next to the door. Also, to start the car, you need to hold the keyfob right in front of the POWER switch since the antenna system has been shut down.

Good Luck. Remember: Bacardi or Jim Beam are your best friends when first doing this. ;-}

I don't have a pacemaker but I had cardiac irregularities when I test drove the Prius in 2001. Almost passed out twice. My friend had to take the car back to the dealership.
    Have been on medication ever since.

TOYOTA SMART KEY

TOYOTA SMART KEY DISABLE/ENABLE
    (Disable/Enable Smart Key Antennas)

Precondition:?Power switch OFF, driver side door closed and unlocked.
    (a) Unlock the doors once with the UNLOCK button on the smart key.
    (b) OPEN the driver side door within 5 seconds.
    (c) Unlock the doors twice with the UNLOCK button on the smart key within 5 seconds.
    (d) CLOSE and OPEN the driver side door twice within 30 seconds,
    (CLOSE -> OPEN -> CLOSE -> OPEN)
    (e) Unlock the doors twice with the UNLOCK button on the smart key within 5 seconds.
    (f) CLOSE and OPEN the driver side door once within 30 seconds.
    (CLOSE -> OPEN)
    (g) CLOSE the driver side door within 5 seconds.
    When the smart key is disabled, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds TWICE.
    Once this is done, you will have to use the unlock button on the remote to unlock the doors (the driver side door will not automatically unlock when you grab the handle).
    NOTE:
    To start the car, you need to hold the smart key right in front of the POWER switch since the antenna system has been shut down.
    To re-enable the smart key, perform the procedure again. When the smart key is re-enabled, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds ONCE.
    One reason to disable the smart key is to prevent an after-market alarm system from triggering when you walk near the car (the dome light comes on when you get near the car causing the alarm to sound).

I have used this procedure on my 2008 Camry Hybrid.

Is it possible for a Smart

Is it possible for a Smart Key to work as enabled in all areas except a certain part of town (e.g UD Arena in Dayton, Ohio) where it works like it is disabled?

It turns out that area of

It turns out that area of town has a bunch of radio masts and the dealer says I'm probably getting a lot of FM interference.

I work for a locksmith

I work for a locksmith service in upstate NY. Tonight I had my first encounter with a Toyota equipped with the Smart Key. This Camry makes that talking car on Knight Rider look like a Smirf by comparison. The woman called and said that she locked her keys in the trunk. I tired to get the car opened so she could use the inside (manual) trunk release but every thing I did set off the alarm. Finally, she pressed a release button under the bottom center of the trunk lid logo and the trunk opened, leaving me scratching my head and wondering, "What the phuck just happened???"

So...can someone please tell me what happened?
    wlbarton@dutchesslocksmithservice.com

Thanks