+ Reply to Thread

A/C vs Defroster on Cold MPG in Prius

Has anyone come across data indicating how much more MPG running the defroster on cold saves than running the A/C?

The manual seems to indicate that no damage would be caused by running the defroster on cold for extended periods in hot weather, and it seems to cool w/out putting nearly as much drain on gas and electric engines.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The defroster is run by the air conditioner, so there should be no difference between the two.

No difference. The only problem with using A/C Auto is at times your car may start cooling the cabin when it really is not needed. So 8 months of the year I keep the AC off.

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius

I have a 2010 Toyota Prius and I am wondering how it will defrost a cold windshield first thing in the morning? Canadian winters are cold!

What powers the defroster on

What powers the defroster on the 2010 Toyota Prius on cold Canadian Mornings. Am I going to have to wait for the engine to warm up or is there an electric heater as well?

The A/C and the defroster

The A/C and the defroster both engage the compressor. I'm pretty sure the compressor runs off the hybrid battery.