+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

They need to bring back the Geo Metro!

Geo Metro had a small engine, and it accelerated pretty slowly. Americans of a different generation have a totally different idea of what a "fast" car is. My dad and mom suffered through the 70's oil crisis with some slower cars. To them a diesel Golf seems fast (0-60 of 12 seconds).

My Honda Metropolitan scooter has a 0-30 of around 8 seconds (it gets 90-110 mpg, though). Most cars now days will reach 60 mph in 8 seconds. See the problem? Lead foots, people with distorted views of "fast".

I'd like to see the Ford Focus and other cars sold in the US with 1 liter engines. They do it in Europe all the time. But in the US the smallest you can get is 2.2 liters, which is completely overpowered. You don't need to accelerate like Mario Andretti from a stoplight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I bought my geo-metro new in 1990, I've never had
    a problem with it.
    I recently just replaced the timing belt on it, I get-
    about 35mil in town and 52 on highway.
    Its been a great little car with 127,000 miles.

I just got back from vacation in Pennsylvania it was a 3,000 mile round trip in my 97 Geo metro 3cyl 1.0 drove from OK to PA, avg speed 70mph with the AC on, with a full load (my dog, wife, luggage, and cooler). Tracked MPG the whole way and the highest was 45mpg and the lowest was 37mpg. Even maintained a decent speed going up hills and mountains without downshifting. Awesome little car would highly recommend getting one, if you can still find one. Its very hard to find a cheap low mileage one with the high gas prices today. They are in very high demand

I recently purchased a Metro XFI. I plan on putting in a 30k engine and transmission in it, they are only 550 here for both. Can the regular engine go directly into the Metro?

Can I say I'm in love? Like some relationships, they're bitter-sweet. The purchase of my used 97 Geo Metro 2dr hatchback was exactly that. I couldn't believe with the gas prices the way they are now, that someone would be parting with this great little car. I saw it sitting on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it and I fell in love with it the minute I saw it....I had to have it. So, I inquired about it and when I saw it up close, it appeared very abused. The interior was completely disgusting, but the body was in great shape for a car that had seen 120,000 miles. When the seller started it, boy did it sound rough. I asked myself what I really saw in this car, but I was convinced that I could have the bugs works out and get this baby on the road! I'm a 40 year old man that felt like a 16 year old again. I couldn't believe a p.o.s. car could put a smile on my face.

Well, the time came when I took her to the mechanic to find out why she wasn't running right only to be told that the engine in the old girl was shot. My heart sank because I knew I had to make a decision to either sink another $1,000 into a car that I paid $600 for, or cut my losses and send her to the scrap yard. I can't believe the emotional attachment I had for this car...it was so strange....kind of like 'Herbie the Lovebug'....very weird, and I'm a pretty stable guy. Any level headed person would've made the decision to junk it! Well, for whatever the reason, money didn't seem to matter to me, I felt compelled to give this little car a renewed lease on life....I told the mechanic to go ahead and do what he's got to do to get her sounding healthy again. He thought I was crazy (and so did I) but the smile returned to my face knowing that I'd actually get the opportunity to spend a long lasting relationship with a Geo Metro? O M G !!!! Anyway, a little elbow grease and some determination to clean up the inside paid off. She's sparkling inside and out, and sounding very happy.

I agree the Metro needs to be reproduced, but in the meantime I've brought my own back to life!

Have Fun!

The bottom line is that the american auto makers should build more small cars. the metro was a good small car, but not the only one.

My friend had a metro (it was a 2-seater convertible) and I was in it when it was totalled. It was like being in a cardboard box. The impact just ripped the whole passenger side to bits and my shoulder was knocked right out of it's socket. The driver who ran into us barely dented his car.

I'll take my Prius, at least I know I'm protected when I'm riding in it.

Don't kid yourself Don. The Metro was built by Suzuki and badged by Chevy. The US manufacturers avoid small and convertible vehicles completely and always have.

oops. I meant "small and ECONOMICAL"

I think that is also the fundamental issue with the US makers and the quality stigma - most new drivers due to budget have to drive small economy cars.

Deliver a great car in that segment, and you get repeat business. Deliver a crappy or no car in that segment, and you miss a piece of the market for the initial sale, and a possible customer for life.

I believe the real consumer impression of quality comes from the entry level small car segment, and it is by working this segment hard that Honda/Toyota has done so well.

I thinkyou will see Hyundai/Kia gaining benefits from the same strategy (actually, they already have)

Profit per vehicle from these cars are low, but having a strong showing in that market segment is IMO critical for being a healthy competitior in the auto business. That's my car industry rant