+ Reply to Thread

Insulated tools necessary??

I'm wondering if anyone knows if mechanics are required to or are inclined to use insulated tools when working on certain parts (batter, electric motor) of hybrid vehicles. Does anyone have knowledge on that?

I know one maufacturing company that requires insulated gloves, so I assume insulated tools may be used as well.

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Why not just shut off the power connection? On my FEH there is a shutoff in the back.
    Then perhaps use a voltmeter to confirm you are safe before proceeding.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_w View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone knows if mechanics are required to or are inclined to use insulated tools when working on certain parts (batter, electric motor) of hybrid vehicles. Does anyone have knowledge on that?

I know one maufacturing company that requires insulated gloves, so I assume insulated tools may be used as well.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Gloves, Insulated Tools, and High Voltage safety rules are to be used when doing any work on the High Voltage Battery directly. When working on the rest of the car, either the "HV Plug" in the battery needs to be removed (like doing inverter work) or the car needs to be off (12V battery disconnected). Note that with the SKS system, having the car off can be tricky, so something positive is needed to ensure no unexpected startups. Go to

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/training/

for in-depth details.

The gentlman is correct in

The gentlman is correct in his statement above, high voltage safety rules apply. We are a manufacturer of a complete line of insulated hand tools, garments, gloves, etc. If you are in need of any tools, specialty tool kits or gloves please e-mail. See our web sight at www.flashprotectioninc.com. All our tools are american made!

Rich