+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP NEEDED IMMEDIATELY ON HYBRID DANGER

HELP NEEDED IMMEDIATELY. My 2007 Camray Hybrid is going to be in this week. Now the insurance man tells me there that if you are in an accident and need the jaws of life or anything metal that needs to come in contact with your hybrid, good luck. Guess there is a chance of electracution to the rescue team so they wont help you until they know its safe, which will take a lot of time. This really scares me because I was buying this car because if was suppose to be the safest around. Now it sounds like a not so good idea. I can still turn this down when it arrives, but I have to decide. Please any opinions or suggestions, email to me cause I have no idea how I got to this place. sandygetstuff@sbcglobal.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Find a new insurance man. I've insured an EV1 for 3 years and an HCH for 3. There should be no problem insuring them at great rates.

Some people will go to any lengths to kill any good, new, idea that comes along.

Sandy, ex-EV1_driver is right: Get a new insurance company. That's simply bogus. Ask your insurance man how many claims his company has had to pay for this sort of thing.

Hi Sandy,

I just saw this article this morning:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1970590,00.asp

As well, I've copied and pasted the official statement from Toyota, as it relates to the Prius. I can't imagine the Camry would be any different.

"Toyota Prius Engine Safety in the Event of an Accident

The Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrid vehicle has many safeguards to help ensure safe operation for drivers and protection of emergency response professionals in the event of an accident.

The high voltage batteries are contained in an extremely strong protective case located in a portion of the vehicle very unlikely to be penetrated in a collision. Drivetrain management computers continuously monitor all system functions performing hundreds of tests each minute. In the event an abnormal condition is detected, all high voltage circuits are disabled and high voltage is contained inside the protective case.

Further, two safety mechanisms are in place that shut off the engine and disconnect high voltage if an airbag is deployed or if there is a sudden deceleration indicative of an accident. High voltage cables and components are heavily insulated, shielded, isolated and the cables are painted bright orange for easy identification. The controller box is a sealed unit and has warning labels.

To reassure emergency response professionals when the Prius was introduced in 2000, Toyota placed advertisements in trade publications and sent letters to industry organizations announcing the availability and dissemination of Emergency Response Guides. Today, all Emergency Response Guides for Toyota's alternative fuel vehicles, including Prius, RAV 4 EV, CNG Camry and Highlander Fuel Cell Hybrid are available at Toyota's technical information web site and Toyota continues to advertise in appropriate professional publications.

Electrically driven Toyota vehicles like the Prius, RAV 4 EV and e.com have been available in the U.S. since 1998. Like all vehicles, they can be involved in emergency situations. They have established a good track record for electrical safety and we are not aware of a battery case breach or any personal injury in the U.S. related to hybrid or EV electrical systems."

Hope this helps somewhat,

Tell your insurance agent to eat it. Check with your local fire department. I guarantee they are all well versed on hybrid vehicle rescue. They encounter new vehicles and technology all the time, and they know what to do. They are required to.

All high voltage lines are clearly in bright orange on hybrid vehicles. There are also plenty of 'safe zones' on hybrid vehicles where the jaws can be used to extract a trapped occupant.

The car isn't sizzling with electricity like your unscrupulous agent may lead you to believe.

PDF's/Documents with specific details about rescue operations on your specific hybrid vehicle are available through Honda. Ask your dealer or search the net. You'll see diagrams with safe zones clearly marked out. You'll see the safe zones are in the exact spots where your rescue person would attempt to enter the vehicle anyway.

Junk and replace your insurance man!

When I received my 07 Camry Hybrid last June, I just called my existing insurance and give the VIN and other details they usually ask for. The only minor hassle was that my insurance's database is not updated yet for 2007 vehicles especially the hybrids coming from Japan. However they have on record the correct VIN and they even sent me insurance card with the correct data on it.

There is a pdf publication from Toyota website called Emergency Response Guide for 2007 Camry Hybrid model (http://techinfo.toyota.com) which should help emergency responders. Get hold of the file and print it and retain one copy on the glove compartment.

I was speaking to a Fireman today and he noticed my Hybrid. He said these cars create more work for their rescue teams, because the first thing they do at an accident scens is cut the battery cable... now they have a second cable to find... and cut. But they are learning where to find this electrical cable on all models!

Camry Hybrid Emergency Response guide

I have the emergency responders guide.
    the PDF is too big to upload.
    please email me at clink@mossy.com and i'll send you a copy.
    I also have the prius and highlander HB.
    I can also anwser any other "hard to get anwsered" questions.

Chris Link
    Internet sales manager
    Mossy toyota
    San diego Ca

I use Geico and they have no problem with Hybrid cars

change insurance agents

Your insurance agent is freaking you out and will probably offer you insurance at a higher rate. I just bought a Highlander Hybrid and had no problems with insuring it.