+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have a 2006 Prius with a

I have a 2006 Prius with a rear hitch bike rack. I lose 15 mpg on the highway when in use ( two bikes).

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

So KP, you actually

So KP, you actually installed an under the rear bumper trailer hitch set-up and then slipped the bike rack carrier into the hitch, right? Don't care that much 'bout the milage as I will only go 5 miles to the park...not like I'm carrying 4 bikes all the time.
    Please clarify we are not talking roof rack or strap and sucktion cup stuff here.
    Thanks!

You can find a hitch to put

You can find a hitch to put on your car @ http://somdsolar.com . Look in the prius section and you'll see a link to prius accessories. With the hitch you can put a rear mount bike rack on.

I too put a u-haul hitch on

I too put a u-haul hitch on my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid and carry a Thule 4-bike 1 1/4" bike rack. Yes mileage suffers but that's the sacrifice. My problem is that the car rides a little low. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? So far I've found there are no air shocks or heavy duty springs I can replace what came with the car when I bought it.

Might want to check this

Might want to check this out. I found this information when searching to find out much of a mpg hit I would get by leaving my rack on for long trips. Seems they only observed a .2mpg drop with the racn and a box on top. I'm sure when my bikes are on there it would be considerably higher, but I would expect the bare rack to be somewhere around the same as with the cargo box. (maybe slightly worse with the bike trays on it)

http://www2.thule.com/Thule/Page____90595.aspx

I'd like to see more scientific tests to compare with this one.

I have frequently driven the

I have frequently driven the same route, I-80 across Nevada from Utah to California (and back) in an '07 Prius, both with and without 2 bikes on a Yakima roof rack. I usually have the cruise control set at 77 or 78 MPH.

Without the bikes and rack, I get 42 MPG. With the bikes and rack it's 31.5 MPG.

The bigger problem is that, at this high speed and great distance, the rack slides back. Not just a bit, but several inches. This has scratched paint and left me worried about the bikes flying off. I'm using the correct Yakima mounts and they are correctly installed, but the front mounts (backs don't have a problem) still slide back. This doesn't happen around town, of course, but I want to be able to travel with bikes. Any ideas?