+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Motorcycles vs hybrids

do you really need to drive car 100% of time? there are other alternatives besides hybrids: motorcycles and scooters get 50-80MPG real life MPG, cost less then the difference btw hybrid and non-hybrid and can be an effective daily transportation for those 90% of the time when there is only one occupant in the vehicle.

In last 2 years my MC had seen 35,000mi with avg 70mpg in mixed rush hour traffic. It burned 500gl of unlead which would only last for 10,000mi in 20mpg minivan it replaced for commuting duty. On top it classifies as HOV, costs less to park

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Motorcycles vs hybrids

I use a bicycle when I can. I also walk.

Motorcycles vs hybrids

Here is a quote from the EPA site:
    "...motorcycles produce more harmful emissions per mile than a car, or even a large SUV. The current federal motorcycle standard for hydrocarbon emissions is about 90 times the hydrocarbon standard for today's passenger cars. Although many of today's motorcycles will actually meet the current California standards, the California hydrocarbon standard is still 18 to 24 times the current federal passenger car limit, depending on the displacement of the motorcycle engine. Beginning in 2004, all passenger cars, light trucks and SUVs will be required to meet even more stringent standards. When these standards become effective, new SUVs will be meeting hydrocarbon standards about 95 percent cleaner than today's typical motorcycle."

Motorcycles vs hybrids

""...motorcycles produce more harmful emissions per mile than a car, or even a large SUV. The current federal motorcycle standard for hydrocarbon emissions is about 90 times the hydrocarbon standard for today's passenger cars."
    this is really old information. EPA 2006 rules cleanned up motorcycle exhaust and even stricter rules will go in effect in 2008. Still not convinced? buy models which are Euro 3 certified, they are available in US.

BTW even older motorcycles emmit considerably less then SUVs and ULEV cars, if you add up the green gas emmisions. CO2 emissions are not accounted under EPA rules as "harmful".

Motorcycles vs hybrids

Bicycling and walking produce increased greenhouse gases...

Motorcycles vs hybrids

it does but much less. Per human/mile bicycling produces the least amount of greengas, it is way ahead of second bests like fully loaded commuter bus or 747 flying at 600mph/35,000'. It is the most effective transportation mankind has at present.

Motorcycles vs hybrids

It's not the most effective. Being free, it would be utilized far more if it were always the best way to get the job done.

I was just pointing out that virtually all transportation produces greenhouse gases.

Motorcycles vs hybrids

Jim and Cyclopathic: Yes, transportation does produce greenhouse gases, but so do termites (estimates range up to 15% of the planet's greenhouse gases are produced by termites' production of methane!) and cattle. Estimates range up to 16% for the production of nitrogen oxides by biological and nonbiological processes in soil; lightning is also a significant cause of nitrogen oxides. (see http://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/ap42/ch14/final/c14s01.pdf)

Motorcycles vs hybrids

worry about methane? wait 'till ocean shelf temps hit 18C

what will happen then