+ Reply to Thread

Tornado Air System and K&N Air Filter

I have a HCH II with under 200 miles on it. Has anyone tried to improve MPG by installing either or both the Tornado Air System and K&N Air Filter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Don't waste your money, the Tornado and similar purported gas-saving devices don't work. Here's just one link (Consumer Reports) on a test of these products:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htm

K&N Air Filter would improve airflow and have effect on performance, but not as much on MPG comparring to new OEM filter. On a long run it may since your MPG drops when filter gets clogged, and K&N would go 100,000mi and still flow better then paper element.

That green machine may work.

The K&N filter I know does work. Anything that adds more power to a car without adding more air/fuel mixture adds MPG. Because its puts less of a strain on the engine thus less throttle is needed for acceleration. Also the filter makes your car sound better.

K&N oiled air filters are junk and so is the Tornado.
    The K&N has been proven to allow more dirt into the engine.
    This will cause a shortened life. The Tornado is just a waste of money period....
    Amsoil has come out with a NanoFiber filter that was developed by Donaldson(they produce filters for the army and commercial industries) that require no oiling. They have a 100,000 mile life guarantee. You blow them out with shop air (20 PSI) every 25K. They have the best flow rate and filtering capability.
    I don`t know if they are available for all applications yet, but you could contact an Amsoil Dealer to find-out for your vehicle.
    I use one in my Diesel PickUp and have found it to be very efficient with great flow. The oil analysis came back with 3 to 6 PPM silica(dirt) and that's better than the stock at 7 to 9 PPM.

The K&N air filters do work.

The K&N air filters do work. You won't go from 100HP to 1000HP, but they do work. Plus they cost about the same as a filter you replace once a year. I have used them on 3 different vehicles, 2 cars and a truck. The cost of one of the filters for my Chevy Metro was almost $40 just for a paper filter. The K&N cost about the same, but I never had to use a paper filter again after I got the K&N.
    I used to be an automotive tech and in school we talked a lot about the oil-cotton filters over paper. No one I have met so far as has said they didn't prefer K&N-type filters over paper.

It just makes more sense to buy 1 filter that will not have to be replaced for years, then to waste money every 6 months to a year for a paper version.

I agree that the Tornado Air doesn't work. The idea behind it does make some sense, but it doesn't seem to work.

My experience with a Tornado

My experience with a Tornado has been that the acceleration did seem to improve a tiny little bit (so little though it was almost not worth the trouble), but the fuel efficiency actually went down. Also, not sure if the Tornado had to do anything with this, but I had to replace both oxygen sensors since installing it. The car that this was done to was a '99 Infiniti G20.

A skeptic myself, I just

A skeptic myself, I just tried the Tornado in my Lexus LS 400. Purchasing it from JC Whitney, there is a 30 day money back guarantee. On my first tank of gas, my fuel mileage increased by 17%. My full review will be published at www.customrides.com.

Try it, you'll like it - guaranteed! (or your money back)

I think that a K&N Air

I think that a K&N Air Filter is one of the best things that you may have in order to have a good riding experience in your vehicle. I think it would be better if all things will work out.