+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Uncomfortable headrest in 06 HCH?

I have my Civic EX 2 days now. The only thing I don't like so far is the headrests! I get a stiff neck within a few minutes of driving. The only relief I get is to stretch and move every few minutes and try to change position a bit. Was kind of glad to see that I wasn't the only person experiencing this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Potential SOLUTION: Hope this fixes the problem for most of you. My wife has neck problems from a childhood injury. We sat in the '06 Civic in the showroom and although we loved the car, the seats with those headrests weren't gonna work. They were a non-issue for me but my wife who is smaller had a head tilt that made her stare at her shoes. Out of sheer desperation to make something happen, my wife got the idea to take out the headrest from an '06 Accord and put it in the Civic. Success. Problem solved. It's flatter, softer and further back. So, we tried to make a swap before buying in the sales contract but Honda won't go for that because of legal issues and does'nt recommend modifying their seat. We then went to the parts department and bought Accord headrests seperately. This was deducted pricewise from the the car price. You might not get an exact match colorwise, we have a grey interior and the headrests are charcoal but the black trim on the steering wheel and dash make it work. Hope this helps. My next idea is to put a bike handle foam grip on the parking brake. Haven't done it yet but I'm sure I'll be able to do something with that. Cheers!

SOLUTION cont'd: I realized there may be some needed details or questions...here's a bit more.

The headrests are about $75 each and are non-refundable or exchangeable. Avoid giving a VIN number when ordering so Honda doesn't cry fowl. Honda Canada told me a VIN number wasn't necessary and I didn't use one. Make sure the parts guy understands how important it is that you order right the first time. To make sure you're doing it right and it will work for you, you could do what we did and go to a showroom. Pretend you're shopping for one (or another one) and swap the headrests around so you are comfortable with your parts department purchase and see what the result will be.
    Disclaimer: This worked for me. I did my research and dealt with the parts guy and my salesman to make sure we ordered the right headrests. You in turn will have to order carefully for best results. I highly recommend swapping them around in the showroom before ordering to see if it solves the problem for you.

SOLUTION disclaimer...one last thing. Understand that any modification can affect safety. Understand that you could be injured more severely in an accident should you modify the headrests. Although a great fit with Accord headrests...they aren't designed for the Civic. Understand that your insurance company or the other guy who hits you and his insurance company or both could also cry fowl should you get rear ended and suffer an injury. It all could happen. You decide what is best for you.

If anyone is interested, here is the Honda part number for the headrest that is compatible, which is from the Accord LX. It's two different part numbers depending on if it's coming from a Japanese made Accord or an American made Accord. The number for the headrest coming from the Japanese made Accord LX is 81140SDCA02ZC (sometimes known by number 8150906). The only color available that is the same as offered for the 2006 Civic Hybrid is Ivory. It is the identical Ivory color. The pattern on the fabric is slightly different, but in a rather unnoticable way (though I'm not that picky). For the Accord, I think it's also available in gray and black. Ciao...........Wendy

I have had my 2006 Honda Civic LX for about 3 weeks. I love the car, except for the headrest as well. My neck just can't handle it. I am short at only 5' 3", but I have to find a solution. I will contact my dealer about purchasing the headrests for the Accord. Honda really needs to do something to fix this.

I purchased a 2006 Honda Civic a few weeks ago and have had a terrible problem with neck ache/headache after driving it or riding in it for 15 min. I have NEVER had a neck problem before. I am normal weight and 5ft 3in tall.

Take a closer look at the forward angle design of the headrest and it is obvious why this is bothering us. The headrest is way out of alignment to the back support.
    I have tried tilting my seat back, raising my seat and headrest higher, etc. to no avail. Turning the headrest backward is just too unsafe.

My dealership told me they have no record of any complaints and it is up to me to solve the problem on my own because "that is the way the car is built and the company won't let us modify." I was told to call Honda Customer Relations 1-800-999-1009. Honda said they had never heard of this complaint before.

Honda definitely needs to redesign this feature and in the meantime provide a free aftermarket SAFE fix for their bad design.

Signed, Honda Driver for the last 20 years Caught Unawares!!

I called the Honda Customer Service number and the customer rep pretty much said that there was nothing they could do. They certainly didn't seem to want to offer alternatives and refused to acknowledge whether there were other complaints documented. Can anything be donem I believe it a situation that has cause for a recall.

I just called this Customer Service number and found that they were more inclined to listen to what I had to say about my painful headrests.

Even though I didn't have my VIN they looked me up based on my name and zip code and documented my problem. They also recommended that I take it to my local Honda dealer. Please call 800-999-1009 to complain about your headrest.

I just got a brand new 2007 Honda Civic. I love everything about it---but the headrest. I didn't notice it during the test drive, but after 1/2 hour, I realized there was a serious problem. If Honda doesn't provide a headrest that is comfortable, and I start getting neck problems, perhaps it's time for a lawsuit on medical injuries.