+ Reply to Thread

batteries and cold climates?

I live in Alaska and use my present vehicle in a small city but also frequently travel away from heated garages. The temperatures in south central Alaska can easily reach -40 f. Has anyone had experience with hybrid vehicles in conditions where they may be left outdoors in -40 f conditions? I know such severe cold affects machinery and engines generally. What is the effect on battery systems in hybrids??

A related question is the passenger cabin heater. A conventional engine supplies hot collant fluid which in turn heats the passenger cabin. What is the source for heating the passenger cabin in a hybrid? Must the engine be run up to temp to then supply heat? Can the vehicle be warmed u p prior to traveling?

Thanks for sharing any experience or knowlege on these points.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

batteries and cold climates?

Bill

As a hybrid car owner myself, I love the MPG that I get out of it. However, even 15f is a little hard on my HCH. Because of a small engine, it seems like it takes forever for the heater to warm up. In addition, when I park my HCH outside for long periods of time in those conditions, my HCH's IMA battery (the big 144v battery, not the 12v) will loose enough charge that the generator must recharge it for several minutes when I later go to drive it, thus draining the MPG's away slightly.

While I love my hybrid, I must admit that diesel is probably better in your conditions.

This is where you lose out

This is where you lose out compared to a car with a conventional heating system.
    ------------------------
    central heating