+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ever feel embarassed filling up a hybrid

Just interested,

Do any of you fellow hybrid car owners feel a little embarassed filling up, especially alongside gas-guzzlers filling up too?

While I do love 46 MPG in my 2004 HCH, and I fill it up only once a month for a meager $25, I always feel like I must come in the middle of the night to refuel; maybe someone won't notice I'm filling up my Honda Civic...heaven forbid, it's a hybrid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Are you kidding? I LOVE filling up my hybrid next to these fools, knowing that these "awful" gas pains cost me about $15 a week - I do have a hefty commute. Too bad the joy's a rare one.

Everyone in their big expensive $40,000 SUV thinks they are the cat's meow. Give it to OPEC, suckers!

I drive a vw diesel. I get low to mid 40s mpg. I do not feel embarassed filling up my car. I brought my car to lower our dependce on import oil. what other people drive is up to them. one does what one can. I am happy you like your car. If one want to see a list of cars which get 40mpg or better go to www.40mpg.org take care everyboby Don

I recently filled up our Jetta wagon diesel, after running 1306.7 km (817 miles) on a single tank of fuel, at 48 mpg, and in daily commuting on top of that, not just some special economy test run.

Embarassed? Heck no, I felt proud of my contribution to reducing fossil fuel consumption.

Embarassed? Not at all! I look on it as an opportunity to do a little missonary work, loudly complaining "Boy, I only got 47 MPG for this tankful!" And then sweetly asking "How many miles per gallon do you get with that thing?" Rub their noses in it - it's good for them.

I guess you guys have a point...

Next time I have to fill up, I have to think proudly and laugh at the Guy in the Suburban or Explorer next to me.

However, I am proud that I last filled up when gas was $2.45/gallon, now it has been over a month, I've driven 300 miles, and I have alot of gas left (more than half a tank), and I have successfully "rode out" $2.80+/gallon gas.

Don't you just wish you had a plug-in hybrid. Then you could ride out any gas price increases.

I dont have to go in the middle of the night because
    I never go to gas stations with my Jetta TDI unless
    I am more than 300 miles from home. In my garage there is a 275 gls tank that hold heating
    oil or diesel. Diesel delivered today is about
    $2.80 a gallon and heating oil is about $2.10.
    The choice of which one is not difficult as both
    fuels are the same. They just have different names.
    My TDI gets 45mpg at leased based on writing down
    GLS(the electric pump has a meter and same nozzle as gas stations) and miles.
    Sorry to embarass the hybrid owners.

Don't forget that the reason the heating oil is cheaper is that no road tax has been paid on it. It is illegal to drive with it. Road diesel has a dye in it.
    Of course, one of the reasons proposed that the CA govt killed the ZEV initiative was that electricity isn't taxed either. That's also given as one of the reason Europe is so anti-EV and pro-diesel.

Then again, if you had a bio-diesel convert, you would only have to pay for a few gallons of regular diesel (in order to heat the bio-fuel) every so often. But yes its true, road-taxed diesel is red (I believe), and the non-taxed stuff is pink. If a cop tests the fuel in your car and its not the proper color, you could be heavily charged, as that is highly illegal.