+ Reply to Thread

What does the B mean?

There is P, D, N, and B what does it mean

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

What does the B mean?

"Braking" - as in "Engine Braking" - downshifting to slow down without using the brakes.

What does the B mean?

The "B" mode should be used if you are going down a long hill, and your batteries are already close to being fully charge. "B" mode lets the engine help slow down the car without overusing your brakes and over-charging the batteries.

B

I understand "B" increases regenerative braking returning more energy to the battery and saving wear on the brakes. I use it a lot when I see a traffic light change to stop when I am a distance away or am going downhill faster than I like.

That is incorrect. The b does not give back more energy. If you constantly use it you will see a MPG drop as well.

p - parking
    n - neutral
    d - drive

B effect

I understand that leaving the shift in "B" does hurt mileage (when crusing) as it is equivalent to leaving a normal car in a low gear. However, where is it documented that using it when slowing or going downhill does not increase mileage by increasing the battery charge rate over leaving it in "D" and riding the brakes?

I've read on the internet regarding the prius shedding excess charge in B mode. My salesperson (who I was testing his knowledge at the time) confirmed it. I know...sometimes salesperson's aren't believable, but what they say makes sense.

Here's the info I found. Hopefully it'll help in this discussion.

http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/b-mode.html

B effect

I looked at the reference and found:

"B" mode also increases regeneration current to 30 - 40 amps with no feet on
    the pedals, so the part about "more regeneration" is somewhat true.

Given this, the knowledge (I can hear) that the electric-motor generator spins faster when decelerating in B (compared to D), and that normally there is battery capacity available to take in the higher charge, I remain of the opinion that using B for deceleration (with or without a light touch on the brakes) normally saves fuel by returning more charge to the battery than using D with with or without a light touch on the brakes.