+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

YYZ; The best

YYZ;

The best recommendations that I can offer for you will not be much different from what we would offer to most hybrid users. Here are the things you MUST do to improve your fuel economy.

1- Pump up your tires !!! This means pressing them up just shy of their Max pressure rating by a few PSI (you see this on the sidewall of each tire).

2- Use the DWB and DWL techniques. I'll be happy to explain what these are if you don't know.

3- Avoid the rat race (heavy traffic) if possible. Choosing alternates routes with less traffic often helps. Avoid frequent accelerations and stops especially the abrupt kind.

3- Keep the speed down. Any speed above 60 MPH is going to hurt a lot in ANY car.

4- When accelerating keep the RPM below 2000-2500. The lower the better.

5- Use 0W20 oil at your next oil change!!

6- Since your car does not the hybrid instrumentation I suggest you buy a Scangauge ASAP. Right now you are driving blind-folded. When you get a Scangauge you'll literally start seeing your fuel economy like never before. It is worth every penny.

If you can get all of the above nailed down your car should be good for 40+ MPG for starters. As you get better, 50MPG tanks should be in your horizon especially if you use the more advanced techniques.

Cheers;

MSantos

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Can regular Civics use

Can regular Civics use OW20?

Also, I agree, the instrumentation in the Hybrid is really instrumental (haha) in obtaining better mileage. It's a constant education on what improves your mileage.

One marginal side benefit: you get to know which way the supposedly level roads in your neighbourhood are sloping.

Yes, all 1.8 Liter engines

Yes, all 1.8 Liter engines of the regular 8th gen civics can use 0W20 without any issues whatsoever.

I agree on all the rest...

Cheers;

MSantos

MS, Thanks for your

MS,

Thanks for your response. I assume by DWL & DWB, you mean Driving w/ Load & Driving without Brakes. I have heard the term before, but I'm not sure I fully understand the technique - could you please explain a bit more?

Regarding the Scangauge, I found this.. http://www.scangauge.com/features/
    Does this basically just help me see my car's readings _or_ save gas too?

I must admit, I do drive over 60mph, on the highway I usually go up to 80mph - 85mph, but I have always driven the car like that.

I will though follow your suggestions and see if something changes. Thanks again!

Greetings,

YYZ

YYZ: You'll find the formal

YYZ:

You'll find the formal definitions of these techniques at www.cleanMPG.com (BTW, feel free to drop by)... but I will try to give you the best explanation I can:

DWB: (Driving with buffers or Driving without brakes) simply means that while the car is in motion you'll do your best to have quite a bit of room between your vehicle and the others in front of you. This is also called anticipatory driving as you are giving yourself a buffer not only between yourself and other drivers but also between yourself and other elements on the road such as traffic lights, traffic patterns etc. The point is to avoid stopping as m uch as possible and to conserve as much of the momentum as possible.

DWL: (Driving with load) this means taking advantage of the residual load that every engine has when running at its lowest RPM and using it to propel the car with the lowest fuel usage possible. For example: Instead of keeping the speed when going up a short hill by raising the RPM (which is typical of the cruise control) you try to keep the FE as steady as possible while bleeding the speed. In doing so your speed will fall but the idea is to let it fall slowly by adding minute amounts of throttle pressure. Again, the Scangauge is instrumental for non-hybrids when driving with load because you can "lock in" the desired FE instead of locking in the speed and needlessly paying the price.

You car is good for 40+... easily, but by driving it at those high speeds you'll never meet the rated EPA numbers. In the end, it is just simple physics and the reality is that every car gets badly hit when going above 60 MPH. The higher the speed, the worse the hit will be.

Cheers;

MSantos

Several times I have seen

Several times I have seen people asking for maintenance schedules, but have not noticed anyone mentioning the Honda Owner site:
    https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/

Once you join up, for free of course, you can access many informative things there including maintenance schedule. I find it to be a very easy site to use and being run by Honda. expect the information to be correct. Anyone else use this site?

You are wrong about the

You are wrong about the first oil change. The factory oil issue is irrelevant, they do not put anything magical in it that cannot be had from any good major brand oil that also has the appropriate additives and conditioners.

Actually you have it completely backwards, even with today's great engine tolerances the first oil change is the one with which the engine was still breaking in and will have more large particulate matter in it. With subsequent oil changes the period is more appropriately determined by the driving conditions.

There is NEVER a time when changing the oil is worse than not changing it, providing the right, quality oil is used, but it will be a waste of money to do so excessively - 5K miles is not necessarily a short interval though, if it were mostly city driving then as a matter of convenience it would not be so unreasonable to go ahead and have oil changed while the car was at a shop for some other reason.

JC: The advice we offer in

JC:

The advice we offer in this forum echoes Honda's own recommendations for the HCH-II and is consistent with the service directives published by the Honda engineering group regarding this model.

In the simplest of terms, the basis of Honda's recommendations are supported by the vehicle's maintenance minder and any inferences to traditional maintenance cycles are hardly helpful for HCH-2 owners. If anything, Honda has openly and explicitly warned against replacing the factory oil before it reaches 15% or before 1 full year of service.

Perhaps you could provide some sort of empirical affirmation that can support your assertions?

Cheers;

MSantos

I'm currently only getting

I'm currently only getting 39 mpg in my '06 Civic Honda Hybrid. Bought new, I started at 43 mpg. Only has 8,500 miles clocked. I am going to check out the CleanMPG site to see how I can improve this (in addition to various recommendations in this thread). But has anyone considered using the MPG Caps (FFI product) in the gasoline? I've read pros and cons (cons mostly attributed to imposters of course), but nothing about pros/cons in a gasoline hybrid vehicle. Anyone?...Anyone?...

Hi ReneeB; Please to drop by

Hi ReneeB;

Please to drop by CleanMPG and let's work on real improvements.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid any Gas additives or gimmicks of any kind. As it is, your car can give you truly astounding mileage without any snake oils at all. Lets work on that first and... please save your money.

Cheers;

MSantos