+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorsha View Post
    My sticker says to fill my tires to only 32 front and rear.... I have read on here people putting upper 40s and even low 50s.

Is mine so low because it is Purigen? or because I am in Fla and well... never encounter snow...?
    32lbs is the inflation that offers the most comfortable ride. However, it is also the inflation that is closest to the borderline of safety. Any inflation below 32 will start causing poor handling and accellerated tire wear.

Conversely, the higher the pressures the lower the tire wear and the handling also improves. The side effect is a harsher ride. Purigen or any other gas is irrelevant because what matters is the effective pressure the tire is running at.

Most people who drive hybrid vehicles for efficiency choose a slightly higher pressure (not too high though) than what the sticker mandates. The sticker should be seen as the safe minimum pressure you should run your tires at.
    Most of us pick 2 to 4 lbs lower pressure than the Maximum tire pressure the tire is rated for. You''l' see the max tire pressure rating written on each tire.

Please note: Tires do not blow up because of higher pressures. Instead they blow up because of un-inflation. An under inflated tire heats up faster and thread separation occurs leading to a desintegration of the tire - which obviously is not good.

Cheers;

MSantos

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much MSantos,

My tires say 44, and I checked them last night at they are at 31. I knew something was not quite right, they just look so low. When I get home I will air them up to about 36, that seems like a good compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorsha View Post
    Thank you so much MSantos,

My tires say 44, and I checked them last night at they are at 31. I knew something was not quite right, they just look so low. When I get home I will air them up to about 36, that seems like a good compromise?
    31 psi is way too low.

Setting them at 36psi is a good start. As you get more confident and you see your mileage improve you may take them to 36 rear and 38 front, then 38 rear and 40 front, then 40 rear and 42 front ... as you see fit.
    Taking small steps like this will allow you to find the best balance between comfort and fuel economy. Be warned though, the higher pressures give you ever increasing fuel savings and those of us who try them never want to go back.

I know folks who have taken their tires way beyond 50psi and get wicked fuel economy figures... I call that crazy though... those pressures are not for me.

Cheers;

MSantos

I have a 06 Honda Civic that

I have a 06 Honda Civic that had terrible road noise, but was getting 39 mpg. I installed 150 lbs. of Dynamat and changed my tires to a high performance tire. I am now getting about 28 mpg.
    What in the heck happend? The road noise is gone, but so is my gas mileage. Help!

Wow, 150lbs is almost the

Wow, 150lbs is almost the weight of the hybrid system !!!

Still, 28 mpg is too low. Heck 39 is too low for most of us. But then again it appears you chose it to be that way... Correct?

A high performance tire is not for the HCH, ever. The HCH is a low pollution, fuel efficient platform and you should use LRR tires instead as its design intended. Simply put, high performance have too much road friction and that acts more like a boat anchor that does not leverage the efficiencies of the power train. Add the added weight and the loss in FE is almost justifiable.

Now to have bought high performance implies that your driving may not take into account the car's features and design mission, right? Do you drive spiritedly ?

Please drop by www.cleanMPG.com and intro yourself. The folks there will certainly help you get the most FE from your HCH... that is, if you are willing to learn.

Cheers;

MSantos

MSantos, In an earlier post,

MSantos,

In an earlier post, you said to work up the tire pressure to 40 in the rear and 42 in the front. Is that where you would recommend as a balance between FE, safety and a comfortable ride? Do the dealers have a problem doing this for us if we ask them to at the oil change?

In the Manitoba area, what exterior air temperature would you start removing the pipe insultation? I only have the top row around the "H" logo blocked, as the left side of the lower grill already looked blocked by Honda.

Tried to check out the www.cleanMPG.com website. Where on the site do I go to find a forum like this one on the HCHII? I am impressed by your l/100km numbers this past winter. I was around the 7.8-8.8L/100km mark.

Thanks.

My 2006, has 35,000, and

My 2006, has 35,000, and can't find my manual, how do I find out what maintenance is needed, that I can perform?
    Also I have been changing my oil every 3500 miles, can't change old ways, I guess. I read about taxi's in NY, they found that cabs that changed oil every 3000 miles, when rebuilding the engine, they had much less wear on all moving parts.

Ramzak: There are no

Ramzak:

There are no explicit change intervals for the HCH-2. Instead, the oil change should occur as indicated by the vehicle's maintenance minder.

You can get the HCH-2 manual online here:
    https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

Changing the oil more frequently than indicated by the instruments is literally a waste of oil and "your" money for no measurable benefit at all.
    The old ways actually hurt the vehicle's engine particularly during the engine break-in period since the factory oil needs to remain in the vehicle until the minder reads 15% or less.
    As long as you use the recommended 0W20 oil, you should be able to get anywhere from 7,000 miles to roughly 12,000 miles out of an oil change.

Cheers;

MSantos

Peggy, many dealers have a

Peggy, many dealers have a problem doing that for their customers on request. The best we can do is ask them not to touch the tires and instead you watch the tire pressure yourself.

When the ambient temps rise above 0C I start removing the pipe insulation one row at a time. The objective is to ensure that the engine temperature does not rise much above 90C. If the engine temp does rise above 90 then the radiator cooling fans will turn on and that is the give away that the engine is too warm. I keep my eye on the various temperature readings with a device called "ScanGauge". It is worth every penny.

While at CleanMPG, just intro yourself in the "Start your journey here" section and we'll take care of the rest. While our underlying objective is to help everyone regardless of what they drive, you'll see that we have the strongest and most capable HCH-2 community anywhere. Also, do not forget to read up on Tarabell's article, which happens to be the HCH-2 bible for anyone serious about knowing their HCH better.

Cheers;

MSantos

Wow - great website! I'm

Wow - great website! I'm glad I found it!

I have an '06 Honda Civic [not hybrid though - hope you'll accept me in your community] and I love it, but I am experiencing some major changes related to gas mileage.

On a full tank of gas [fill up somewhere between 10 1/2 gal. to 11 gal.] I would get about 320 - 340 miles. This started changing about 6 months ago - it went down to as low as 220 - average is 250. I went to the dealership [never again, especially that one] and they told me my front brakes are wearing, I need an oil change and new tires. All this for the incredible amount of $1,500. What a deal, huh?! Needless to say, I left without looking back..

I chose a Goodyear rep close to my house - had my front brakes fixed, changed tires [alignment, balance included, obviously], changed oil, everything. The tires I had put on are Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. Unfortunately my gas mileage problem is still there. I went to a different Honda dealership and told them what I had done, but my mileage was still low. They couldn't figure out what the problem was, so they just told me this will go down as the total mileage on my car increases. Right now, I'm at 56,700 miles.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks,

YYZ