+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Outrageous Insurance Rates on 2006 HCH

Is everyone experiencing high insurance rates on their HCH's? Our 2006 HCH insurance ($1180 Annually) is more than double our new Explorer ($520 Annually) or my 4X4 Truck ($490 Annually) that I have parked to drive the Hybrid. In fact, if you add both the Explorer and Pick-Up insurance it still is less than our Civic Hybrid coverage! I have called MANY different insurance companies and they all show the Hybrids at very high rates compared to gas guzzling vehicles. The only explanation offered, "small vehicles have more damage in an accident and higher medical costs". We have never filed a claim or had an accident that was our fault and have not had a citation of any kind for over 16 years! No teenage drivers, just me (41) my wife (37).

We have not owned a small car for years and I can not believe the insurance is so high on such a conservative vehicle! Takes some of the fun of saving so much at the pump away!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Just read in our local newspaper that the Travelers insurance company just introduced a 10% auto discount for Hybrid car owners, in 30 states. Article states for more info, you can visit their web site
    travelershybrid.com
    Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve. I already sent them my information, however they informed me they haven't got the rates set yet in our area and I have been placed on a list for future contact by an Agent.

If you haven't already, I recommend you review your coverage with an independent insurance agent because there are a lot of factors that go into rating a vehicle unrelated to whether or not it's a hybrid. Also, the correct Web address for the Travelers hybrid insurance discount is www.hybridtravelers.com.

Thank you Jennifer. I am currently waiting on Travelers and I am also exploring combining my home and auto insurance for additional discounts. I have also noticed no one else is listing their HCH Insurance rates, which leads me to believe that we ALL have lousy, high rates.?

I concur with the outrageous insurance rates. My girlfriend just bought a 2006 Civic and traded in her 1999 Civic. Her rates more than doubled! We called virtually every company and some could not offer a quote immediately - they had to get back to us, which makes me think the lack of insurance history of the hybrid cars is driving up the price. Hopefully, hybrid drivers will get a 'good driver' type benefit in a few years - but not now.

Once we had our home owners, life and two vehicles all insured at State Farm. Not tickets, no other drivers other than my wife & myself, in our early 40's.

We got a quote from Geico, transferred both cars over and save around $800/yr with slightly better coverage.

Also did some research on life insurance and found out State farm was selling us an almost valueless whole life policy so we shopped around and bought cheap, but effective Term instead.

State Farm still has our home owners, but since they treated us that way for almost 10 years we're shopping to move that as well.

Well, I have now had many companies respond to my request for insurance quotes. Travelers has still not responded and that leads me to believe they are not ready or can not beat my current rate. Geico was a joke coming in $400.00 higher than Allstate (our current insurer at $1180.00 Annually). State Farm, Farmers and several others came close but would not beat the Allstate rate. My neighbor has a new Saturn Sedan and they are the same age as my wife and I, WITH teenage drivers at home and their rate with Farmers on the Saturn was $300.00 lower than Farmers HCH Sedan Insurance. I had my neighbor call his Farmers agent to see if it was just us. Sure enough the agent quoted my neighbor $300.00 higher annual rate on a 2006 HCH vs. his current 2006 Saturn L Sedan. What gives?

Check Unitrin! They were by far the lowest for me! I do wish Traveler's would be more specific with their information, as well as what new information will be available and when!

I'm only paying $330/6 months ($660/yr) for the 06 HCH with Mercury (California). I don't trust Mercury for home insurance (have another company) but for a car they've been OK. Have had to use them once for a claim (someone hit my car while parked) and they came through OK. Shop around. Depends on where you live, but there's a huge difference between insurance companies. You can try AAA. Or if you like the company you have your home policy with, try them. Also look at various discounts (multiple car discount, sometimes discounts for certain professions, etc).