+ Reply to Thread

2003 Civic Hybrid starter troubles

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone else has the following difficulties. I own a 2003 Civic Hybrid 5 speed. Randomly, the car will not start at the first turn of the key. Usually I'll need to take the key out of the inition, put it back in and try again, sometimes 2 or three times before the engine turns over.

Similarly, I've had a problem with the engine shutting down when it's in economy mode. The clutch goes in, the engine shuts down (as it should), but will not reactivate once back in gear. Add the previous starter issue, plus waiting commuters, and you have an uncomfortable situation.

I've taken it for service on this issue twice, and each time they've said they cannot duplicate. I'm doubtful, so wanted to run it by to see if anyone else has encountered this.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

David - we have an '03, have not had any starting difficulty such as you describe. With the auto stop, occasionally there is a slight hesitation re-starting, but not a big deal. We also have an '05 (both are 5-speeds) and it never hesitates on the re-start.

I'm on this site looking for help with this problem. Last week I ran into a store, came out and the car (2003 Civic hybrid) wouldn't start. I called the tow truck then my husband, and while talking with my husband I tried again and it started. No problems after that, including a 600-mile road trip, until today. Same story.

I am currently carrying a portable charger with me at all times, because my battery drains overnight and I can no longer trust my car to actually start when I try. Re-trying does not help.

No url

Try buying a decent car.

Try buying a decent car.