+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hydraulic Hybrid Trucks

I just read a brief article suggesting that Ford is nearing the completion of an F-150 Hydraulic Hybrid that will supposedly achieve 60mpg. Has anyone heard of this or know any more information?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hydraulic Hybrid Trucks

Hydraulic Hybrid Trucks

Essentially, this just uses compressed air to store a small amoung of energy. They hydraulic drive is quite common among heavy lift equipment. I don't see anything about 60 mpg. Hydraulic drive is generally used in huge, strong construction equipment. I'd believe something closer to 60 gallons per mile than 60 miles per gallon.

Hydraulic Hybrid Trucks

You wrote:
    Essentially, this just uses compressed air to store a small amoung of energy.

--------

No, it uses compressed hydraulic fluid to store a LARGE amount of energy. There is far less energy loss with hydraulic storage and TONS of torque. The main disadvantage is weight. Dont knock this technology too fast. Also its easier to properly dispose of hyraulic fluid <oil variant> then a NMih battery.

Hydraulic Hybrid Trucks

Unfortunatly, compressing Hydraulic fluid (or any other fluid) is physically impossible as fluids are non-compressible. That is one of the main differences between a gas and a liquid.

If you look at the details of the hydraulic hybrid, there appears to be a 'reservoir' that I assume is filled with air or some other gas. This appears to be how energy is actually stored.

me thinks they are confusing compression with storage. An accumulator stores the power of the oil under pressure.

Hydraulic Hybrid

We now have our first hydraulic hybrid up and running, in a class 3 truck. It only weighs 300lbs more than the original truck power train. So far the system is running very efficiently. We will start to provide some data as it becomes available and verified.

The accumulator is filled with Nitrogen gas and energy is stored by pumping hydraulic fluid in and compressing the gas. The hydraulic fluid doesn't compress because, as ex EV1 driver stated, liquids are not compressible.

What are the specs of your system in the Class 3 truck? I've seen an article on the hydraulic hybrid UPS trucks that stated they use 4 accumulators of 22 gallons each capable of 5,000 psi. They stated the storage capacity of the total system was 2,000 hp-seconds, i.e. starting from full-capacity, it can deliver 100 hp for a duration of 20 seconds.

300 pounds seems small enough to be integrated into larger cars and most trucks and SUVs.

Hey, thanks for the 6th

Hey, thanks for the 6th grade science lesson about the differences between liquids and gases. I don't understand why people write stuff here when they have absolutely no idea how the system works

Looks like UPS is driving

Looks like UPS is driving around now using hydraulic hybrids

http://www.pressroom.ups.com/mediaki...5,1315,00.html

Someone has even managed to put one into a BMW 5 series

http://www.artemisip.com/appli_auto_transm.htm