+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid Supply

Hybrid Supply

CalCars latest email -- The New York Times, February 3, 2006, Op-Ed Columnist. Will Pigs Fly? By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN:

"No great breakthrough is required. What's needed are more buyers."

If I want Chevy Impalla, or a Honda Accord or Civic, or a Toyota Camry or Corolla, my dealers have many on their lots to choose from. There are no HCHs or Prii on the lots here, and the wait for a Prius is five months, for a Civic Hybrid, 3 or 4 months. I haven't checked other hybrids, but I'll bet you can't find supplies of any of them that match the supplies non-hybrids.

It seems to me what is needed isn't more buyers but more supply. And nobody seems to talk about this.

Why aren't the car companies making more? Maybe new models, like the Ford Escape, are rolled out with caution. But Toyota has been selling Prii in this country for a number of years, and the demand for the current version has been very high since it was introduced for the 2004 model year. Why can't Toyota catch up with the demand. Why aren't there HCHs on the lot. And why don't people take about this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid Supply

Have you tried calling other dealerships? I am sure that if you check dealerships that are less popular, I am sure you will not find the supply as low. I have gone to some and found 10 on the lot and 0 on others within 10 miles of each other. You just have to be willing to take the time to call around. Honda and Toyota have the option to search for dealerships and give their addresses.

Best of luck

Hybrid Supply

Thanks for the suggestion.

But my main point is why aren't there dozens of Priuses on every lot like there are Camrys?

Hybrid Supply

I think the major bottleneck in production is the supply of batteries (and/or other hybrid vehicle-specific parts). There are a few issues with hybrid battery production that prevents them from just being cranked out non-stop.