CalCars latest email -- The New York Times, February 3, 2006, Op-Ed Columnist. Will Pigs Fly? By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN:

"No great breakthrough is required. What's needed are more buyers."

If I want Chevy Impalla, or a Honda Accord or Civic, or a Toyota Camry or Corolla, my dealers have many on their lots to choose from. There are no HCHs or Prii on the lots here, and the wait for a Prius is five months, for a Civic Hybrid, 3 or 4 months. I haven't checked other hybrids, but I'll bet you can't find supplies of any of them that match the supplies non-hybrids.

It seems to me what is needed isn't more buyers but more supply. And nobody seems to talk about this.

Why aren't the car companies making more? Maybe new models, like the Ford Escape, are rolled out with caution. But Toyota has been selling Prii in this country for a number of years, and the demand for the current version has been very high since it was introduced for the 2004 model year. Why can't Toyota catch up with the demand. Why aren't there HCHs on the lot. And why don't people take about this problem?