+ Reply to Thread

Plug-in, Gas-optional Hybrid in 2007?

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a hybrid now, or wait to see if a plug-in, gas optional hybrid will come out in 2007. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Warren,
    I don't think there is much chance of a gas optional hybrid by 2007. The batteries in today's hybrids will run the vehicle about 1 mile. To get something reasonable in a gas optional vehicle you need 20 or more times additional battery capacity. It could be done but the batteries would take up a lot of space and would add about $20,000 to the cost of the vehicle. I just don't expect battery technology to advance enough in two years to make a big difference in those numbers. I would wait until 2007 because I think there will be a lot more choices in hybrids at lower prices than we have now. At today's prices, gas will have to go to over $5 per gallon before you come out ahead. We have an Escape Hybrid and love it but don't expect it to ever make up for the additional initial cost.

Edrive has updated their website at: http://www.edrivesystems.com/ with promise of delivery in 2006. They are still estimating $10K - $12K for their plug-in add-on to the Prius.

This won't be be fully capabile of freeway driving in EV-only mode but it certainly will take a bite out of your gasoline consumption.

They mention that once the Prius enhancement is in production, they'll move on to the Highlander and FEH.

I think that hope still exists.