+ Reply to Thread

Accord highway (personal) test

I know I am going to get some flack for this post but here goes ...

I made a road trip this weekend from Washington, DC to Raleigh, NC. Most of the trip consisted of interstate 95. Its not exactly flat, level driving and there is some traffic to consider. I drive a 05 HAH. I had a full trunk and a passenger. For those of you who are familar with the HAH w/ navigation, it has a trip computer that shows the instantaneous mpg in a bar graph.

During the trip to NC, I did very little hard accelerations and just rode with the traffic (about 70-75 mph). I noticed the bar graph would stay between 40 and 60 mpg when "eco" was on. Overall, I averaged 33 mpg.

On the trip back to DC, I happened to get stuck behind a large tall van for a few miles. At this point, I was driving faster 75-80 mph. What I noticed was my mpg was between 60 and 80 on the bar graph. So, I intentionally stayed behind him and was watching my mpg gradually increase. Because there was less wind resistance, I was getting higher mpg. Overall, after drafting behind other vans and SUV's, I was able to average 38 mpg.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Mark, I've gotten 70 and 80 MPG in my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid when drafting close behind big trucks and buses - but I don't recommend it - it's just not safe. Most drivers call it tailgating, and it's annoying as well as unsafe. My best technique for increasing MPG is staying at or below the speed limit.

I just wanted to say too, that I was not tailgating. I was following but with a good second behind them. At faster speeds the hole is larger and you don't have to follow close.

One second behind another vehicle is tailgating. The minimum recommended safe distance is two seconds, three is even better especially if the pavement is not dry. And even two seconds, I would argue, is not enough especially behind a large truck; you have no visibility of the road ahead so therefore you can't anticipate slowing down or stopping suddenly from the cues from vehicles ahead of the one you're following.

In any case my Passat TDI will beat those numbers handily without drafting a large truck.

At a steady 65 mph I get 42 mpg. In the summer months my average on my daily commute, depending on how fast I go, is 37-40 mpg.

Driving for max. mpg is great but please drive safely!