+ Reply to Thread

How do Insights drive in the snow?

Hi, I am looking into buying an Insight but I'm having difficulty finding out about how they handle in snow. Can anyone speak to their experiences?

Thanks so much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I had a 2001 Insight with

I had a 2001 Insight with CVT that handled quite well on a New Year's trip a few years back from Louisville, KY up through Montana, Idaho, Snoqualmie & Lookout Pass, all the way to Silverdale, WA and back again in pretty snowy conditions -- although I stayed on the interstates where it was fairly well packed down and/or plowed. It does just as fine as any other front wheel drive car in light to moderate snow and icy conditions. The limiting factor is the low nose on it. If the snow starts getting too deep (3" to 4" higher than the street) you'll risk damaging the air dam as you start plowing through.

my insight 20001 performs

my insight 20001 performs surprisingly well in snowy conditions.

very pleased .

my 2010 insight seems pretty

my 2010 insight seems pretty good in the snow, it has traction control.

On dry pavement the Insight

On dry pavement the Insight drives like a go-kart. But if you are talking about he original Insight's handling in snow or on gravel roads, it is not very good.

Driving in snow is all about ground clearance and the Insight has very little of that. Add to that the Insight's propensity to not brake well (ABS effect) on slippery surfaces and it's squirrelly handling on the same and I would say snow is a no-no.

In addition to it not handling well in snow, the mileage drops drastically when temperatures are below 60F. It can easily drop into the mid 40s. So the point of having a hi-mileage car like the Insight is much less in winter.

I had a 2005 Insight and put 34,000 miles on it. I parked it in the winter and drove a snow car.

Hybrid BMW's are a good news

Hybrid BMW's are a good news for the forever fans of BMW. Not anyone can afford a BMW and that's because BMW are strong heavy power cars with a relatively high fuel consumption. Let's hope the fuel consumption part will soon change, that would make the

In addition to it not

In addition to it not handling well in snow, the mileage drops drastically when temperatures are below 60F. It can easily drop into the mid 40s. So the point of having a hi-mileage