+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrids and Aggressive Driving

I have a 2005 prius and just like clockwork harsh cold winter drives in chicago and buffalo reduce my mileage into the 38/42 mpg range. Alas then comes spring and just like that i am back to my 44/48 mpg range. In mild weather when i drive very conservatively i have hit 50/55 mpg for some short stretches ie a 20 mile one way trip, but the bottom line is keep on driving conservitive, sit back and watch all the crazy people darting in and out and cutting each other off and wasting fuel and loosing their cool along with their cash its a hoot.

Joseph
    Chicago

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Any car will see fuel consumption increase with aggressive driving.

I remember reading an article about a study that was done in Europe. Driving aggressively in town resulted in something ridiculous like 90 seconds in time savings over a 60 km city trip but with 30% greater fuel consumption. I don't remember the exact numbers but basically the conclusion was that aggressive driving saved little time but consumed way more fuel.

I've done the test on my daily 104 km commute. Yesterday I was late leaving for work. I drove like a madman at 140 km/h on the 50 km of autoroute where traffic is sufficiently light to allow that sort of speed. My trip computer registered 6.7 L/100 km. Today I drove at a more gentle 110 km/h (10 over the limit) and the trip computer showed 5.5 L/100 km for exactly the same trip. What really stands out was the time though. On both drives the heavy traffic started at approximately the same point. At 110 km/h, I the drive in to work took 1 hour and 16 minutes. At 140 km/h, the drive took 1 hour and 12 minutes.

Pretty conclusive! Incidentally the car involved is a Passat TDI diesel that averages around 38-40 mpg in summer. When I use our Jetta TDI (I alternate in the summer, but not in winter as the Passat has stability control), I average 47-48 mpg.

I usually drive at 100 (speed limit) and not 110 but I've been experimenting and 110 seems to work better with the flow of traffic with very little penalty in fuel consumption. But I do notice that above 110 km/h, fuel consumption starts to increase rapidly.

Our Highlander Hybrid will average 29-30 mpg mostly with my wife driving as she always drove like a turtle anyway. Yesterday on a long highway with me driving and going with the traffic (70-75 mph) we had the lowest average to date of 25.3 mpg.

I find I get much better gas mileage on the highway instead of city. Even if I drive conservatively in the city. Also, I try to use my cruise as much as possible on the hywy and city and this improves my milage. I drive 100 miles a day on average. I drive approx 65 miles per hour on the hywy and speed limit in the city and I get on average 47 to 52 mpg. I am very satisfied with my Prius.

Most sources tell you to be easy on the acceleration, and the slower you go, the better mileage you get.Actually, I have found that I get better mileage with moderate acceleration in my 2004 HCH (CVT), as well as diving certain speeds.

My HCH's best speed vs. MPG is around 40-43MPH, which is where I can achieve 60+MPG. So, I try to stay as close to this speed as possible, legally.
    If I am on a road with a limit of 35MPH, I'll do about 40. But on a highway at 65MPH, I'll do 65.

Here's a visual graph noting speed vs. mileage:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml
    Note that it states, "While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph."

So the truth is, you don't get better mileage going slower always, it is how close you are to your car's optimum range, and pass 60 MPH, your mileage severly drops off.

You're right, Don. At 75-80 MPH my wife's 2004 HCH only gets 43.9 MPG...see my blog trip report at http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/hybr...s-in-two-weeks.

I've only had my civic hybrid <1 week. But my impression is that efficiency suffers most at very slow speeds.. i.e. <25mph, and high speeds >75.

Stop and go traffic kills. The Prius may be better at this type of traffic.

I can cruise around 35mph on the backroads and get very good mileage.. especially if there is no stop and go. Even on somewhat hilly terrain or winding roads.

I think the sweet spot is somewhere around 50-65 on the highway.

Add a slight downward incline.. and you'll be pushing 60+mpg easily with a light foot.

If you want to drive aggressively, buy a Civic EX or SI, not the hybrid. You'll get excellent conventional car mileage, plus have the extra horsepower on hand. Nothing wrong with that... just depends on how you plan to use the vehicle and what your preferences are.

After reading, that article, I've come to the conclusion that...

Jaguars suck.

Unless you drive like a maniac with them, and unless you're on the highway, you'll get a ticket.

This isn't necessarily aggressive-driving related, but may be handy information nonetheless. (UNfortunately my wife discovered this

2005 Prius: Driving mostly highway from Dayton to Cleveland, Ohio, using the speed control.

At about 72 mph, we get about 49-50 mpg, round trip (400 miles)

Setting the speed control to 63 mph gets about 61 mpg round trip.

Bummer!! As an engineer I knew this, I just didn't want her to discover it!!

I just came off a 3,099 mile trip driving a Toyota Camry Hybrid. (The car had 1008 miles on the odometer at the start of the trip. Three tanks of gas for those first 1008 miles. Average mileage was 32-33mpg with very short trips 5-10 miles each start.)

The trip started in Livermore CA. and went to Denver Colorado and back. Interstates; I-5, I-80 over the sierras, US-50 across nevada to I-15 Utah and US-50 and I-70 Utah and Colorado. Elevations ranged from lows of 4,500 ft to 6,500Ft across Nevada up across the Continental Divide on US-50 and back through via Denver across the CD again.
    At the end of I-70 in Utah we retraced the US50 back through Nevada and into Reno NV and back into California. Temperatures ranged from 95-103 except for the high elevations.

Speed limits in CA 65mph, Nevada 70mph and 75mph in Colorado.

It appears that there is a "sweet spot" between 72 and 75 mph that yields best Miles per gallon. Six tanks ranged from 36.2 to 42.1 with average for the 3099 miles at 39.53mpg. The lower mileages were noted when above 75mph to around 78.

Altitude and air pressure probably affected the result as well as Cruise Control, in a positive aspect.

So far I have not seen the "city" mileage even come close to the stated EPA numbers, perhaps this is due to the extreme short distances of 5-10 miles and not enough time to warm up the engine to get optimal efficiency.

I don't know if 70-80 mph is aggressive driving with this Hybrid but compared to the Prius it appears that the Camry profile is quite different. It will never reach the Prius mileage but looks a lot closer to the Jaguar profile on the high end.

What becomes very apparent is that with CVT compared to 3 speed automatics there is a technique involved and learning curve. I'm not sure that without Cruise the mileage would have been as good as it was. Since you cannot hear the engine when its running on both electrical and gas at effectively 60mpg relative and at 72mph, the human technique is difficult to maintain with consistent throttle.

Take the human out of this equation and put some more electronic controls in its place and 50MPG with this 3600 LB + Camry Hybrid will be achievable in the future.

Driving conditions tell the whole story, hills flatland, stop and go etc. Perhaps Electronic Control will yield the same MPG at the low end and the high end in the future, both increasing mileage. There are so many variables that effect mileage that the high tech cars will have to take control because high tech drivers are not consistent enough to improve mileage from this point.