+ Reply to Thread

flexible fuel motor hybrid

From what i have read, a turbine can run on almost any combustible liquid or gas at about 70% efficiency. There are some companies using microturbines to run generators to supplement power from the grid lowering their costs and pollution too. This is established technology, not pie-in-the-sky, but it may need to be scaled down in size. Why not go back to a serial hybrid which uses a micro-turbine to run a generator and from there to ultra capacitors or batteries and an electric motor for the drive? great benefits: high efficiency, no transmission, and flexible fuels, and if the caps are used no battery replacement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Bear, even small microturbine systems are the size of a minivan - they're not exactly portable. See http://www.energy.ca.gov/distgen/equ...s/vendors.html for some information. What would be needed for a passenger automobile would definitely need to be scaled down in size, by a couple of orders of magnitude. There are very small turbine engines available for unmanned aircraft, but their life is measured in tens or hundreds of hours, not years - and they're frightfully expensive.

Paul, you have a point about the size, but it is not an impossible task. Back in 1968 or so Andy Granitelli ran a turbine powered car at the Indy 500 and almost won. They were banned after that, because he was winning so easily that it wasn't fair. He only lost because of some minor mechanical problem that would have been addressed in the next race. There must be some data on that engine somewhere.

Bear, that was 1967 and 1968. Thanks to Google, here's a massive discussion on turbines-in-cars history: http://8w.forix.com/altpower-turbines.html, which includes "...aircraft engines such as the General Electric T58 and Pratt & Whitney ST6 and STN76 found their way into several racing cars, such as Granatelli’s STP-Paxton Indycar, the Lotus 56 Indycar..."

So Pratt & Whitney or GE have the information. But I bet those engines aren't really affordable.

I'd like to know why these american cars makers are only making the the big SUV's , Trucks, and midsize cars that are Fuel Flexible , hybrid or both , i have not seen one american compact hybrid or FFV be announced yet . What's the problem . There are more compact cars on the road . It's sad when honda and toyota have suvs getting 32 miles to the gallon but yet we have these little 4 bangers out there maybe getting 35-36 miles to the gallon . My 93 Saturn gets that. Cars today according to inflation to gas prices should be getting double the gas mileage w/ outh hybrid technology . But Maybe that's not what our government wants . They are addicted to the tax revenues to supporte wars that accomplish nothing but death and destruction . I tell you what though , when these hybred cars do become standard transportation , Uncle sam is gonna stick it to us not only in high gas prices , but also higher impact fees on registration . So those little tax incentives that ar offered are pretty much useless as far as i'm concerned. Doesn't really send a message on being less dependant on foriegn oil , but just another way to dig a little deeper into the pockets of the American middle class .

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    From what i have read, a turbine can run on almost any combustible liquid or gas at about 70% efficiency. There are some companies using microturbines to run generators to supplement power from the grid lowering their costs and pollution too. This is established technology, not pie-in-the-sky, but it may need to be scaled down in size. Why not go back to a serial hybrid which uses a micro-turbine to run a generator and from there to ultra capacitors or batteries and an electric motor for the drive? great benefits: high efficiency, no transmission, and flexible fuels, and if the caps are used no battery replacement.
    Turbines are very flexible when it comes to fuel. And they do get a high efficiency if you use the wasteheat. The mechanichal efficiency however is pretty much the same as an otto engine, peaks at about 35%. It does have a much better power to weight ratio though. There is a problem in cost because it needs small tolerances in the manufacturing process wich makes it expensive even in large scale production. It's good thinking though, well worth investigating for the big companies in my point of veiw.

Knappen

Hello there, I have here an article which I lifted from the net which tells about the capacity of a hybrid car battery...Hope this might help...

LiMnO2 hybrid battery cells deliver longer life, higher capacity

By Paul O'Shea

Courtesy of eeProductCenter
    (08/23/2007 3:34 PM EDT)

Fair Lawn, N.J. — Maxell Corporation of America has introduced its next-generation of lithium manganese dioxide (LiMnO2) cylindrical hybrid battery cells with longer life and higher capacity for automatic meter readers, security devices and RF applications. These advanced hybrid cells will operate for more than 10 years and offer about nine percent higher capacity compared to similar cells currently available.
    The CR17450 and CR17335 cells, designed to industry standard sizes, are laser sealed and exhibit a low self-discharge making them suitable for long-term extended life applications of 10+ years. The wide operational temperature range of -40° to +80°C with an improved heatproof temperature of +90°C to 100° C and internal minute short-circuit prevention are said to make these cells intrinsically safe.
    The CR17450 offers a typical capacity of 2600 mAh, while the CR17335 provides a typical capacity of 1750 mAh. The cells offer a voltage rating of 3.0 volts and feature a stable sloping discharge curve at various depths of discharge, allowing for accurate prediction of end of life.
    The CR17450 measures 17 mm in diameter and 45 mm in length and weighs 22g. The CR17335 also has a diameter of 17 mm with a 33.5-mm length and weighs 16g.
    The CR17450 and CR17335 cells will be displayed for the first time at the AMRA 2007 (Automatic Meter Reader Association) show in Reno, Nev., October 1-3, 2007. Maxell will also attend the AISI Security Show in Las Vegas, Nev., September 24-26.
    As a hybrid car owner, I am well satisfied with its performance as well as with its auto parts like my honda crx performance parts and of course, its battery and its other accessories...

Pricing: Samples are priced in the $5.00 range with a delivery of 60 to 90 days.
    Product information: CR17450 and CR17335
    Maxell Corporation of America, www.maxell.com