+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prius Recall-anyone notice a difference?

Has anyone noticed any differences in their Prius after the software recall/update? I've been keeping gas mileage records since I bought my '05 in January, and it seems like the gas mileage is slightly lower now, and I don't get as many miles to a tank of gas.

Unfortunately the cold weather here in Ohio started at the time I had the upgrade, so I may have to wait until next summer to get a good comparison to my previous data. Cars generally get worse gas mileage in cold weather and I don't have a complete set of data from winter '05

I'm wondering if Toyota discovered that the major problem with the stalling incidents was people running out of gas, and maybe they reprogrammed the gas gauge to save more in reserve.....? Maybe I'm just being too suspicious? Maybe they're out to get me.....??!!!

Any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I strongly suspect that the colder weather is making the difference. I had the upgrrade just before the cold weather hit here in Colorado and my subsequent 3 tanks of gas were right on. Then when the colder weather hit the mileage dipped which is normal compared to last winter. MyPrius is an 04 so I have last winter's stats to compare. The Pruus is affected by cold temps more than traditional vehicals because its first priority is low/zero emmisions. To accomplish that is preheats the catalytic converter thus using energy. i have noticed that, in a year and a half of driving, the two biggest factors affecting mileage are weather (cold and wet) and hard accelerations.

By the way, I have noticed about a 1.6 mpg difference between the displayed mpg and the calculated mpg from the gas pump. The displayed value is about 1.6 mpg higher.

Anybody else notice this?

Yes, I too have noticed the difference between "Displayed & Calculated" MPG---I guess I'm not convinced that when you PAY for 10 gals. of gas; that you actually GET 10 gals. of gas---
    Ed

I posted this same question in another topic and received no replies. I, too, have noticed decreased gas mileage since having the software re-programmed. I wish I could blame it on the cold weather, except that it hasn't been cold here in Tennessee, at least not consistently.

I tend to keep an eye on the engine monitor when I drive, and I try to use the "pulse and glide" method of driving, keeping the engine in electric-only when I'm cruising and don't have to accelerate much. What I've noticed is that I'can't ssem to keep the engine in electric-only by just touching the accelerator like I used to be able to do, even when the battery registers full or nearly so. This occurs irrespective of the temperature lately (here in TN the high can be 40 one day, and 70 the next!).

It seems to me the computer fix involves lowering the speed/acceleration/torque/whatever threshold for the gasoline engine to kick in. I am definitely getting poorer mileage this winter compared to last in my '04 Prius.

My displayed gas millages has been higher since I have owned my prius. I have a 2001 I bought in October of 2000.

I have 2005 Prius bought in Jan. I have been getting excellent average of above 48MPG. After I took it to the 'recall' programming at the local Toyota dealer, I have been seeing a notable mileage drop apprx 34MPG. I even contacted TOYOTA corp office and they filed a case. It seems they need more number of cases/complaints inorder to act upon the issue. Then why not we all keep calling the manufacturer with these complaints and get this one resolved ? We have to be proud PRIUS owners and hold our head for paying the high price on this car.

Thanks!
    Sam

I got the recall done on my '04 Prius and afterwards took an immediate 25% hit on my gas mileage. 49.5 or so before the recall, and 44.5 or so over the 125 miles since the recall.

Cold weather? My mileage took no noticable drop LAST WINTER, (nor did it drop during our punishing summer temperatures, either) and the weather here in Sacramento was cold (for us) in the couple weeks before the recall wuz done.

I have noticed a drop in mileage since the reprogramming. I used to avg 45 mpg around the burbs and 49 highway. Now I get 39/44. PLease let us know how to contact Toyota Corporate to register our complaints!

The dealer ran their diagnostics and didn't find anything (no surprise there). They promised to check with Toyota Tech. They initially tried to blame it on the cold but I told them I had already been through a winter. Oh well...