+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

THE EV ADVANTAGE

ex-EVI-driver, I'm starting to agree with you but here are some more facts.

The Prius has been around for years now. While I would consider a prius for fuel economy, I wouldn't consider it for the family car like I could the Escape Hybrid. BTW the FEH is my family car. The FEH has been used by the public for only one year. After break in (reduced drag on a 4,000 pound vehicle) EV speeds increases from 32mph to 38mph in the FWD model. The computer max is 40mph in EV.

The FEH's has tricks the Ford Engineers never thought the public would come up with that make it a EV with a built in charge system that uses very little gas. Of course cold weather, EV speed roads and traffic play big a roll in all vehicles, hybrid or not.

GaryG

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

THE EV ADVANTAGE

GaryG,

I agree fully with you for your situation. Everyone's needs are different and fortunately, there are a few hybrids out there with differing capabilities to meet more people's needs. The FEH meets your needs, the Prius meets others' needs and the HCH meets even other needs (like my wife's 'need' for a manual transmission). Personally, there are no hybrids out there that meet my needs, that's why I'm still driving around a '91 Buick so I have extra $$$ around to buy the right car when it's available.

What I like most about your original post is that you focus on the "The EV advantage". Clearly (as you've documented), the best way to get better fuel economy is to maximize the electric portion of the hybrid. This is completely unacceptable to the gasoline-(ICE)-centric thinking and structure of existing car companies so this change is going to take a long time. This is similiar to the way steamships were required to still have masts and sails long after steam engines had proven their reliability and coaling infrastructure was in place.

The optimal hybrid is not a hybrid but a PURE EV. Hybrids are a positive step in that direction.

THE EV ADVANTAGE

ex-EV1 driver,

We agree that a pure EV is the way to drive. This is the vary reason I choose to drive my FEH slower and use EV to the max. The FEH is the best car on the market at this point to do that. Please, if there is any vehicle that can go EV near the FEH, help us out here.

Doc, has ask about the Prius! no answer! The Honda can now go EV but it has to drag the ICE engine along.

Keep waiting and buy more gas x-driver. I'm saving everyday with my FEH. Those joker's pushing the cost difference can eat my shorts at 44mpg in the FEH.

GaryG

THE EV ADVANTAGE

Gary, I am planning on test driving the FEH now. I am looking to buy after Jan 1. I like the size of the FEH, but the better milage of the prius. Also, is ford giving good financing?

THE EV ADVANTAGE

Doc, I don't know what Ford is doing for financing. I prefer my credit union rates and take any cash off instead. The financing at the dealerships are rip offs most of the time so its better to take their offer and use it at the banks or credit unions to negotiate an even better rate. I got 4.25 for 6yrs with ($500 down) free GAP insurance when I bought mine in Feb. It's gone up some now, but the price has gone down. I paid $500 over sticker and it was my only cash put on a loan of sticker, tax and tag. Payment is $530 on a fully loaded '05 FWD. If you tring to get the best FE, Get a FWD.

GaryG

THE EV ADVANTAGE

Just test drove the 06 FEH. My son has a 01 regular escape. This FEH is very nice, but I still like the audio steering wheel controls, which it does not have, and I may go with the prius for economy. However the FEH drives really well, and is roomy.

THE EV ADVANTAGE

Doc, good luck with what ever you choose. I would consider a Prius also, its a hybrid. The price maybe better but I just got a MPG reading of 48.879 combo and the FWD FEH may end up with a better economy than the Prius.

GaryG

THE EV ADVANTAGE

There are a number of FEH owners who drive in low gear (there is really no low gear in the eCVT) all the time or below 40mph. They have reported improved MPG, but I seen no useful gain in my mileage of ~46mpg tanks up until now.

Having used the "fake shift" ( letting off the gas pedal and sending a nice charge to the battery) in "D" to pump up my battery SoC (state of charge) for about 6 months now, I find doing the fake shift in "L", speeds up battery charge even faster. This technique is for EV driving under 43mph and can also improve the P&G (pulse and Glide) for better FE.

When the HV battery SoC is at its lowest operating level (40%), it can take a faster charge. As it fills to the top (60%), its taking a charge much slower. This is why the ICE's mpg or FE gets better while the battery is full or near full.

Driving in EV till the HV battery SoC is low enough to cause a restart, I found to be a great way to improve your mpg averages. In the last week, I found a way to improve EV mode time and get even better mpg averages. Here is how it works for me:

Take the FEH up to 43mph, shift to "L" and wait for the tach signal for EV at 40mph, shift to "N". Coast to a speed you can hold in EV in "L" and maintain till the battery causes a restart. Slowly increase speed back to 43mpg doing slow fake shifts in "L". Repeat over and over for a great pulse and Glide for the FEH. The best roads to do this is with 30-40mph speed limits. With a low battery, the slow fake shifts in "L" will recharge the battery enough to carry you the longest distance with the ICE off the longest posible time I've found yet. Use this method of "L" fake shifts anytime, but it really works with a low battery SoC.

THE EV ADVANTAGE

You green-headed people need to get a life. I drive a 300 HP vehicle that'll kick you arsses. It gets 22MPG and so I pay twice as much for fuel..But I get twice the fun and will, in the long run pay less or about the same. My vehicle is good for 250,000 miles with routine oil changes. You POSs get great milage but are worn out or require new batteries at 100K. My car also cost thousands less that Priussy. I've done the math and even at $3/gallon--I win!@

THE EV ADVANTAGE

P.S. In a crash test, I squash you like a bug in my 4000 lb beast and i have a 5 star rating. I can carry more people and junk too...by a long shot.