+ Reply to Thread

Block heater for Ford Escape hybrid?

I have the 2005 hybrid and have been getting consistent 31-32 mpg overall. However, I live in Wisconsin and as soon as the temperature drops below 35 the mileage on commutes drops to nearly 25-26, mostly due to warming up the gas engine.

So I had the bright idea of getting a block heater in hopes that the startup mileage might be better if the gas engine starts out warmer. The Ford dealer said (a little TOO quickly, actually) that I can use any block heater that would fit a gas-only Escape. Before I go to Cheesehead Discount Auto Repairs and Taxidermy to have a block heater put in, I thought I'd ask this group:

1) Have you put a block heater on an Escape Hybrid successfully? If so, what kind etc.? If not, please feel free to share your horror story, it may be therapeutic.

2) Will this really help mileage proportionally to the cost of heater & installation plus electricity?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

This is my first winter with my Escape Hybrid and I've noticed a similar drop in milage. I don't let the car idle and warm up more than a minute or so before leaving the driveway, and I've notice the gas engine operating at red lights even though the heater warming the cabin. Why such a large drop in fuel economy--it is even lower than when using the a/c over last summer in Washington DC--noted for it's hot/humid summers! Thanks.

Now that the cold snap has hit Colorado I've noticed a similar change in my Escape's milage. And like Wayne I attribute it largely to the fact that the engine seldom shut off at stops. I've also noticed that when I'm moving slowly and used to be on pure electric for a long period of time, the gas engine starts again in a minute or less. I'm assuming that the engine just cools down too quickly.

I'm wondering if Ford couldn't have planned a little better for this, possibly by adding some sort of temperature controlled louvers in front of the radiator to prevent excessive cooling in the winter when the engine is off, and by installing a thermostat-controlled block heater that would run off the electrical system when the car is on, but the engine off. Sure, it would require more frequent use of the engine to keep the battery charged, but that would be preferable to never turning the engine off because it cools too quickly.

The engine block heater does

The engine block heater does make a difference. You should block the front of the radiator with cardboard or similiar to further enhance and maintain engine warmth. FIA makes a custom radiator block for the upper grille opening but you need to block most of the lower opening too.

Has anyone installed a block

Has anyone installed a block heater on their Escape? I would like to put one on my 2008 but I don't know how hard it is?

thanks Mark

Before you do, look

Before you do, look carefully behind and beneath the front bumper. Your Escape might already have a block heater. Ours does.