+ Reply to Thread

Research Project!

I am an 8th grader and I am researching Hybrid cars. I have many questions but the one that comes to mind is do you think that Hybrid cars will end up replacing all fueled cars in the future? I have been researching for over 3 months and that question has yet to be answered or talked about. Please help me out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Research Project!

Elizabeth,

I have a 2005 Escape hybrid and so far I don't think there's anything it can't do that a regular small SUV can do.

However, I don't think hybrids will completely replace other cars. For one thing, people with a legitimate need for heavy-duty vehicles (farmers, delivery services, etc.) will stick with diesel or gas.

And unless gas prices go up again, AND the government continues tax incentives for buying clean air vehicles, there isn't enough financial incentive for most people to pay the extra money for a car that essentially has two engines. So people of average or lower income will be steered to conventional vehicles.

I would also like to see people put a higher value on the hybrids' low pollution emissions. I grew up in the era of leaded gasoline, and believe me air on city streets is far cleaner now than it was then.

So I believe hybrids can and will become more popular, but gas and diesel vehicles will have a place for a long time also.

Good luck with your research.

Research Project!

An interesting research project, Elizabeth.

I agree that there will always be some need for heavy duty vehicles, so there may never be a time when every car on the road is a hybrid. However, one reason why people are not buying hybrids in greater numbers right now is their cost. Hybrids are expensive because the technology is very new - this is always the case. (CD players used to cost $600!)

As more people buy them, auto makers will need to make more and more of them, and the cost will go down. Soon, hybrids will be affordable to more people, and more people will buy them.

Id like to think that, soon they will be within the reach of younger people who may not have money for an expensive car, but very much want to protect the environment. And once you buy one - youre hooked.

Good luck with your project - post more questions if you want to.

I hope when you buy your first car it is a hybrid.

Research Project!

Elizabeth,
    In view of the growing concern for environmental problems and the continuous high oil cost, depleting global fossil reserves. The electromobile will eventually replace the all round features of conventional vehicles.
    It only a matter time, I had already developed a technology where by the future energy carrier will only uses a card ( Like a phone card ) to drive the electromobile. Based on the technical facts invovled this development had contributed further to areas technically undiscovered in the research and construction of turely hybird with an independent cruising range. This technological development is a
    "breakthrough' and the start of a great leap forward in the electromobile. I am looking for interested organization to commercialize this innovative technology. I can be reached at autocoolmacmohan@hotmail.com
    thank you, Regards
    mac mohan

Research Project!

Elizabeth,
    In view of the growing concern for environmental problems and the continuous high oil cost, depleting global fossil reserves. The electromobile will eventually replace the all round features of conventional vehicles.

It only a matter time, I had already developed a technology where by the future energy carrier will only uses a card ( Like a phone card ) to drive the electromobile. Based on the technical facts invovled this development had contributed further to areas technically undiscovered in the research and construction of a hybird with an independent cruising range.

This technological development is a
    "breakthrough' and the start of a great leap forward in the electromobile. I am looking for interested organization to commercialize this innovative technology. I can be reached at autocoolmacmohan@hotmail.com
    thank you, Regards
    mac mohan

Research Project!

Elizabeth,

I don't know if it is too late for your project, however, I'll offer an answer to your question anyway:

Hybrid cars are a much more efficient means of using a gasoline engine (also called an Internal Combustion Engine or "ICE" for short). Therefore, ideally, they would replace conventional ICE's. However, sometimes, for various reasons, good technologies do not win out over other technologies. I certainly hope that they do.

I'll also call attention to your reference to "all fueled cars". Remember that hybrids are still fueled cars that are fueled by gasoline, just like any other gasoline fueled car.

I, and many others, are hoping that hybrids (which have both a gasoline fueled engine and a battery run electric motor) evolve to just a battery run electric motor which can be plugged in to electric outlets to provide much cleaner and efficient transportation. We hope that vehicles that must go long distances away from electric power plugs will all become hybrids so that they can use gasoline but less of it than gasoline vehicles do today. You can go to www.pluginamerica.com, www.calcars.org, or www.edrivesystemscom for more information on these plug-in hybrids.

Research Project!

Hi, my name is " Raj "

I got a question does this hybrid escape has cvvt that is contineously veriable valve timing
    and is there any website where I can find a complete manual for hybrid escape " engine "

please do answer

Research Project!

I would recommend that you pay a visit to your local library and read page nine of the January issue of Car and Driver where it discusses this topic in some detail. I believe you will find the answers you are asking right there.

My own personal opinion is that hybrids will become the standard simply because the fuel savings will be so great. I just traded in my 2003 Escape for a 2006 Hybrid and I'm not sorry and the mileage increase is substantial -- very substantial.

As the prices come down on the battery packs (they always do), the prices will someday be no greater than conventional vehicles. Diesels are more complicated and will be unlikely to meet the 2007 emission standards. That means by default that hybrids will become the defact standard in the future.