+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2006 Civic Hybrid Problems (already)

we ordered our 2006 civic hybrid on Oct 14 and finally received it last Friday Nov 11. Two days later (Sunday) we were driving it on the freeway and suddenly the hybrid engine light (IMA) and the battery light indicators went on. The hybrid engine shut down and we continued to drive the car on gas only. Brought the car to the dealer on Monday (it's still there). They still really don't know what is wrong (believe me I call every day) although at this point they suspect some computer failure that runs the hybrid engine. Anyone else experience similar or other problems already?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Actually yes, the same problem haunted my 2005 HCH that I purchased new in Feb 2005. The IMA battery repeatedly went dead causing the IMA light to go on and the car to start and run only using the conventional 12V battery. I had to bring the vehicle into the dealer 7 times… they never to my knowledge figured out the problem. They even flew in an American Honda technician from North American headquarters to no avail. I had to bring in the Better Business Bureau and have my attorney write a letter to get American Honda to replace the vehicle under the Oregon Lemon Law. Once they finally agreed to replace the car they were quite nice about it. They traded me straight across for a new 2006 and had me pay $600 for the 13K mileage I put on it.

Have your Honda service dept. contact Ron Tonkin Honda in Portland, OR. I am sure they could help with your problem, especially if the same computer codes are getting thrown to the reference memory when the problem happens. David Powell is the Service manager at my dealer. You can contact them at 503-255-8345.

I have a 2004 Civic Hybrid and I can sympathize. My vehicle has been in the shop since October 10th, 2005. They replaced the entire engine block because it was porous. Then I took the car back because the check engine light came on. They replaced a switch on the transmission twice and the computer control panel.

I don't qualify under the Lemon Law because i would have to take the car for repairs 2 more times! If twice wasn't enough already. I've filed a complaint and no one seems to be able to help me. A refund or repurchase is out of the question...they say. So how long can Honda keep my car? As long as it takes is their answer. This is white collar corporate theft. They act like I'm dying to get this piece of crap back into my hands. I'm through with Hybrid cars and Honda.

I got my HC 06 in Oct. and in December I had the same problem. They have not been able to solve the problem. Sounds like Honda does not know how to diagnose these type of problems.

I have had mine for one month (1200 miles) and no problems so far. If I do, I will post them here.

The Lemon laws are there to be used. Although they very from state to state, the '06 comes with a seperate book outlining each states laws. Our state list the law kicks in after 3 attempts to resolve or 30 days of being out of servcie

Lemon Hybrid problem SOLVED.

My original reply is above dated Nov 27th. After 13 months American Honda finally gave me a new 2006 HCH. They were unable to resolve the problem with the IMA light going on and the electric motor dying. It was a lot of back and forth and I was denied twice through American Honda mediation dept. However after researching Oregon law if the same problem happens more than a certain num. of times and they are being unreasonable you can collect twice the value of the car. After quoting the statute to American Honda mediation they promptly gave me a new 2006.

My advice, document every conversation on paper, research the statute in your state. If refused and you fall under the lemon law w/o question then threaten them with the penalty they will incur for being unreasonable. Worked for me and I got 14,000 free miles on my 2005 that they didn't charge me for.

Good luck -O

Thanks, I have had many issues dealing with Honda on my car. It has been out of service for about 45 days and I have taken it to them three times now. Honda is working to replace the car, but they are having a hard time locating a vehicle. They also drove my car through the toll road without a transponder while they were trying to diagnose the problem, which I just received the fine for. Not sure if I can wait 13 months for a replacement car.

I have also been posting my problems with 2006 HCH II on this forum too.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/2...eady.5556.html

BTW did you have any accessories added to the car? A friend of mine works for a car accessory store that was recently sued for accidentally tapping power supply into the IMA when adding an accessory that caused the same types of IMA failures.

No, I have not added any factor or aftermarket electrical items to the car. From the paper work I have seen it looks like there is a sensor problem/rotor/controller issue. This is good to know that these cars are real sensitive to any electrical items installed.