+ Reply to Thread

But I want to plug it in!

"You never have to plug it in." Ignore this insipid spin the manufacturers are using. The whole point is to be able to plug it in, so it can be charged by power plants running at their most efficient capacity, reducing the net pollution. Don't buy a hybrid until the manufacturers get it right.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

But I want to plug it in!

Ben,

You are asking for a full electric which still needs a lot better battery technology then we have now. With the present hybrids, the batteries usually only run the car for about a mile between recharges. The battery would need to be about 50 times larger if you wanted to charge it at home and drive it 50 miles.

I want to Plug it in!

The battery technology is there now to plug it in for a gas-electric hybrid. There is no reason we couldn't plugin an off the shelf prius and reduce our emmissions for short trips. I'm looking for a plugin hybrid gas electric with as much electric capacity as I can get.

Unfortunately, the plug-in conversions for the Prius got stalled by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) certifications. The 'problem' is that a gasoline engine produces a lot of pollutants until the catalytic converter heats up. This is taken into account with a pure Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) as it starts up, the catalytic converter is heated up by the exhaust, and it runs 'clean' for the rest of the trip. With a hybrid, PHEV in particular, there is the possibility of starting the engine many times during a trip. If the catalytic converter cools off too much, it could exceed CARB's pollution requirements.
    We know, of course that for PHEV trips less than a few miles and below about 30 mph, there will be zero pollutants but CARB only looks at worst case situations.
    Apparently, the folks making Prius PHEV conversions are going to have to let the ICE turn on whenever the catalytic converter cools down to a point, regardless of the battery state of charge.
    Of course, what is needed is an electrically heated catalytic converer that can be heated just before starting the ICE.
    I hope this helps clear up some of the questions regarding Prius PHEV conversions and where they are.

I enjoy 65 plus miles per

I enjoy 65 plus miles per charge in a 2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH....you are right...more batteries...but, Ford refuses to produce it again.

I just love plug-ins and I

I just love plug-ins and I am convinced that a plug-in hybrid conversion is the easiest and cheapest way to do it.
    We are developing a system to convert the Fiat 500 (itwill be introduced to the US soon too) into a plug-in hybrid. We have put quite some time and brains and resources into the project, now we got the running prototype on wheels. It feels good, as it is a real electric car like we all wish for driving. Yet it has always enough "juice" to get to the next charging station. Because it has two engines, it even performs better than the base version of the fiat, it even runs on 4x4. On the highway and for longer distances you will make use of the freedoms of the combustion engine in the same car, that starts up and synchronizes automatically whenn needed and shuts off silently when uncalled-for.

It is easier to pull your electric car to the next charging socket with your own frontwheels than with a car that tows you there.

Visit our website on http://www.swisscleandrive.com/en and get all the infos and even a reservation form.