+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Call it whatever you want...SUV, crossover, etc. But my Highlander Hybrid functions like a wagon to me.
    Functioning like a wagon and being one are two different things. Your Highlander SUV rides higher and is heavier than a true wagon, at the cost of fuel economy.
    It also has a V6 engine. Anyone know why the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix gets 30+ MPG? It's got an "underpowered" 1.8L four banger. However, your HH probably can tow more than a Vibe... I guess it depends on what you need.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I want a wagon. Not a SUV. But I do want something that can handle some basic off road driving. Nothing extreme. If a wagon is too low that won't work. I tried driving my old Saturn sedan off road and it didn't appreciate my efforts.

Build it and we will come!

I now see that I'm not the only one yearning for a hybrid wagon. I'm a member of the sandwich generation, with both an active child and all the attendant kid-gear, and an elderly mom in a wheelchair. The combinaton of hybrid and wagon--- coupled with superior safety ratings--- would definitely be a huge draw for me. But hurry up. My old car isn't going to make it much longer.

I tripped across this site looking for information on Audi Diesel station wagon hybrids. Doesn't look like they exist yet, but I'd buy one.
    In fact I'd prefer a VW to the Audi but that's just a trim level and badge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by technofiend View Post
    I tripped across this site looking for information on Audi Diesel station wagon hybrids. Doesn't look like they exist yet, but I'd buy one.
    In fact I'd prefer a VW to the Audi but that's just a trim level and badge difference.
    I'm not sure on the hybrid part, but as I posted before, the VW Jetta Wagon with the Diesel engine will be available in Spring 08:

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...portwagen.html

However, I have heard that the European car makers are getting ready to release some new models with some hybrid-like options, eg. Engine stop-start, regenerative breaking (without the battery), etc. But will we get them here?? Dunno.

Suburu Prototype

I'm in the boat with those who want a wagon low to the ground and not a big heavy SUV with a hybrid drivetrain. I just noticed that Suburu has a prototype called the B5-TPH and may come out as easrly as 2008. Everything I read aobut VW is that they're hedging their bets on TDI technology which when mixerd with biodiesel does not sound like a bad idea.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005..._hybrid_p.html

Can anyone tell me why we have yet to see a turbo charged hybrid or even better a TDI hybrid? I may be missing something but except for the extra upfront cost of both a high tech engine and extra hybrid drivetrain they seem like a perfect marriage for even higher MPG figures.

Putting a turbocharger on a hybrid probably wouldn't offer much technical benefit. The electric motors can produce much more torque than any Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). Hybrids work best by using a weak ICE and having the electric motor do the 'heavy lifting' to compensate to give good overall performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I have a VW Jetta station-wagon and I love it. I asked if VW was planning to make a hybrid powered station wagon/vehicle and the response was that they are bringing over a deisel engine that is competetive with the fuel economy of the hybrids. I really thought VW would be out in front with a hybrid powered auto. They are such a hip car company. Oh well.
    I'm likely to buy the diesel when it arrives. In tests, the small VW platform diesels have beat Toyota Prius and Honda Civic hybrids for gas mileage, even though they are larger cars. The new clean diesel is supposed to improve mileage, but that remains to be seen.

Wouldn't a Toyota Matrix hybrid be nice? Or a Mazda 3 hatchback? I still think the Prius is pretty good.

Neil

A good write-up on the upcoming Jetta Wagon:

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1941.shtml

Buy a civic hybrid or prius and forget station wagon hybrid

A year ago in March 2006 my wife oKed looking for a hybrid. Our Saab convertible was too hard to get the grandkids in their rear car seats. she didn't like the the Sienna van. We drove a Toyoto Highlander Hybrid. Very expensive $32k for cheapest model. Real gas mileage on internet sites not that much better than Sienna owing to the THH keeping 6 cylinder. Hybrid gages not very exciting. Car no different than van.

After trade in fo 2003 Sienna, we would have paid $20,000. Prius exterior didn't excite my wife and she hated interior. Loved the Honda Civic Hybrid. Gages right in front of driver give all the information to drive at max mileage and have fun coasting at 55-65 mph. Only stopping point was insurance on 3 cars. Got insurance from Erie for the 3 cars for less than State Farm charged on 2. Now we fight to drive the Honda. Use van for long trips that we need to take stuff, convertible short trips in nice weather or when need 2nd car.

I'd like to have a van with 4cylinder and hybrid which could haul $1500lbs. Mercury and Ford are not bad but not big. Sacrifice a lot of mileage compared to Civic.