+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Anyone interested -hybrid Station Wagon?

I was hoping for a hybrid wagon too, having driven Subaru wagons for the past 10 years. I considered the Ford Escape hybrid, but I have 3 kids crammed in the back now and the Escape back seat is smaller than the Subaru. Finally my old Subaru gave out and I was thinking of getting a new one, but I ended up with the Mazda5 in a 5-speed. Hey, its cheaper than the Ford Escape even after the tax refund, half the price of other vans, the 5-speed is even slightly more efficient than the automatic, and its very comfy for my family. Maybe by the time this thing dies on me, there will be a hybrid for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

From the pictures on the web, it looked like the Lexus 400h was a hybrid station wagon, but its also pretty pricey. We've had a Camry wagon for a long time. If they made a hybrid wagon, we'd buy right now.

I don't want a "crossover" vehicle. I want a pure hybrid wagon in four wheel drive. Subaru? Are you listening? Do you know how many Outbacks and Legacys you would sell if you came out with a hybrid version given that most of your customers are environmentally conscious and outdoors people?

I'm about to buy a Forester but can't pull the trigger because I so badly want a hybrid wagon. This is a serious NO BRAINER! It makes absolutely no sense to me that hybrid SUV's are available but no wagons.

count me in as another vote for a hybrid wagon. i love my outback and i guess i'll hang onto it until i can get a hybrid wagon. will NEVER buy an SUV, hybrid or not.

OK. Clearly, I'm dense, because I don't get the whole "I would buy a station wagon, but I would never buy an SUV" train of thought.

What mileage would be acceptable for you for a wagon - given that it would be heavier than a sedan or coupe?

The Escape is an SUV that is actually built on a car chassis, rather than a truck - similar to the Honda CRV. So, it really is the equivalent of a wagon and the 2WD version is gets 34-36 mpg. So, when you say you wouldn't buy an SUV, but you would buy a wagon, why? Do you really think a wagon would get substantially better gas mileage than that? I doubt it, given that the average gas mileage I got on my Outback Limited Wagon was 25 mpg, or worse when I only did city driving.

We're in the same boat. We have three kids (and lots of carpooling w/ other families) and and grown niece who is living with us. Our minivan was totalled last week (it would be just before school begins) so we have to quickly find another, and hopefully environmentally better, option. I loved our van but felt horrible about its fuel economy.

We've been doing tons of research and even if they converted the newer compact wagons (like the Subaru, Ford Focus or Jetta wagon), it wouldn't do it for us because it would still seat only 5. I thought I was doomed to live in MinivanLand in which only gas-guzzlers dwelled. I could merely drool at the colorful, shiny, happy people over at Prius-ville.

We're now seriously considering old diesel wagons (primarily the Mercedes Benz, though Jettas and old Volvos have diesel models) with a 3rd row which allows us to seat 7. I thought of noisy, smelly, yucky, when I thought of diesel, but I'm finding that I can put biodiesel in any diesel engine without any modifications which makes it significantly better for the environment. The going mpg is 25/30 for the MB wagons even with the car full. The only problem is that there's such a demand for these fellows right now. MB mechanics snap them up, refurbish them and sell them--runs great and looks brand-spanking-new.

Apparently, the diesel engines can go 500,000+ miles easily so long as they are maintained, whereas the hybrid engine has a much shorter life-expectancy (usually under 200,000). And then there's the whole battery replacement issue to deal with.

Last but not least, any diesel engine can get converted to run on pure waste vegetable oil (there are even vendors out there in San Fran). Check out Adam Curry's podcast on coverting his MB into a veggie oil car which essentially has no emissions. Now, if we can get the world to start converting to waste veggie oil, we could all be shiny, happy people.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I have always loved station wagons (my first car was a station wagon) and can't stand those big honkin SUVs and minivans. I actually don't like being that far up off the road (call me crazy), and really want to be able to lift a bike or kayak or whatever up onto the roof - or toss a bike into the back without taking off the wheel (my ultimate test). I would kick my (otherwise just fine) Saturn SL2 to the curb and pick up a hybrid station wagon in an instant! Without such an option, I have been contemplating Subarus and Volvos, but I am holding out a little longer...

I currently drive a Toyota Matrix. I love it - BUT, I too, want a hybrid. I was on the Prius waiting list, but realized I needed more room and did not want another SUV (I had a Rav4). I think a Camry wagon or Matrix hybrid would perfect... and you would like with all of Toyota success with the Prius, they would make the more!
    Looks like Toyota would have another waiting list if they got on the "wagon."

No url