+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Anyone interested -hybrid Station Wagon?

Has anyone heard about development of a hybrid station wagon, something on the order of a Ford Taurus or a Subaru Outback?

I need the cargo room of a station wagon to haul a wheelchair and other items along with 3 to 4 passengers plus myself. A mini-van might work, but at extra (unnecessary) cost. I would love a station wagon option.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The Toyota Highlander and Lexus hybrids are essentially station wagons. They are both built on car chassis and have more in common with cars than with trucks. The Saturn Vue hybrid may be coming out soon as well. It, too, is actually more of a wagon than a truck.
    The only problem for many is that these cars were designed to maximize the power capability of the electric rather than the fuel economy capability. They're still get the best gas mileage for the vehicle size that one can get though.

It IS surprising that there doesn't seem to be anything in the works for wagons. It would be nice to see something along the lines of the Mazda5 coming in a hybrid - although it is more of a crossover vehicle.

I have a VW Jetta station-wagon and I love it. I asked if VW was planning to make a hybrid powered station wagon/vehicle and the response was that they are bringing over a deisel engine that is competetive with the fuel economy of the hybrids. I really thought VW would be out in front with a hybrid powered auto. They are such a hip car company. Oh well.

I've been searching the web for anything on this subject. It's really too bad. I don't want a SUV -pseudo or otherwise- but I want more space than a sedan. If there were a hybrid wagon on the market today, I'd probably buy it.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for minivans like the Toota due next year.

Yeah...I know...this weekend my wife and I discovered just how bad of an American family we were. Our jogging stroller didn't fit in our commuter car (Saturn) and we don't have a monster SUV. We've been waiting for a hybrid wagon to come out. As soon as someone does, we're buyin'.

Ever since first buying my own car at age 20, I've been a fool for station wagons. It was only a few years later that car companies (such as the Subaru Outback, followed by Mercades and BMW models) realized as well how stylish they could be. So once again, it will probably be the last mold of car to be recognized for inclusion into the trend, as Hybrids are still a new and fairly risky transition. Yet, it is only a matter of time.

The Toyota Highlander and Saturn Vue are actually classified as "crossover vehicles."

But I have heard that Subaru is working on a hybrid Outback, let's just see what the future has in store.

I love my ford focus station wagon -- but I would really like the fuel efficiency of a hybrid... I hope that someone makes a station wagon hybrid soon.

I agree with you all, I would like to see a wagon hybrid. I must also add, though, that going from a Subaru Legacy wagon to my 2004 Prius was not a very big leap. The Prius holds a surprising amount of stuff and with the fold down seats I have yet to encounter a load that I would have tackled with my Leagcy that the Prius could not handle.