+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Getting better mileage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    Welcome and good luck with your MMH.

First thing you need to check is your tire pressure and I recommend at least 44psi. Your air intake filter and High Voltage (HV) battery filter should be looked at and changed if dirty. The battery filter is located on the drivers side cargo side area with a small access panel. The filter is about $30 but it is important to keep a clean filter to reduce the A/C having to run to cool the battery. The cabin A/C does not need to be running for the Aux battery A/C to demand the single A/C compressor to run for cooling the battery.

Learn to coast in neutral and tap the brake pedal very lightly twice or more below 40mph to shut off the engine and go electric vehicle (EV). If you place the shifter in "L" at ~43mph and let off the gas, you can go EV below 40mph. There is no low gear so you can shift to "L" at even the highest speed of 100mph. However, I do not recommend just driving in "L", so use it to charge the battery with regen braking and to shut off the engine at and below 40mph. Try to find out how to hold your speed in EV (around 35mph tops for most) and I recommend driving with you right shoe off. The accelerator pedal is very sensitive, so watch the assist needle for the amount of assist that will demand the engine on for more torque.

When and if you want to learn all the special techniques I use, your '06 AWD MMH can get 40mpg and over 500 mile per tank of gas (13.5 gals most of the time). If you want to get serious about mileage, check out this article I wrote: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/artic...brid--350.html
    Feel free to ask questions about things you don't understand.

GaryG
    Gary,
    I did change the cabin air filter, it was so dirty (they shoudl have changed it at the dealer). Anyway, with that and also using some of the techniques (double tap, coasting in nuetral) I have been gettiing around 27 MPG now instead of 25, which i am still happy with.

One question i have. I do not have the nav system or the scan gauge. DO you reset your mileage each trip or do you keep it averaging for the whole tank? I have been reseting it after each tank to give me an idea of my average for the two weeks i drive normally.

Thanks!

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

2005 AWD Escape Hybrid Mileage

I have a "new" (I am the first owner for the past 10 days)2005 Escape Hybrid. I bought the car out of state and drove it on the Ohio Turnpike back to Pennsylvania. On the very first day, I got as high as 34.7 mpg going 60mph with the air conditioning off. Last weekend, I took two older folks on a trip to Wheeling WV (Cabelas) and got as high as 35.2mpg going 65mph and again with the airconditioning off. On the way home with the airconditioning on--but not at the coldest setting--I got between 32.5-33.2 mpg via the scangauge II. I am tickled to have this mileage.

Around home with the famous Pennsylvania hills, mileage is between 28-32mpg depending upon how long I can stay in EV without hindering traffic. This is where the real learning occurs. Reading the various posts from experienced users such as Gary G. is quite valuable. Learning the various hybrid techniques (such as "fake shifting"-"double tapping the brake pedal"-"pulse and glide"-shifting between "D" and "L") and how/when to apply them to maximum EV, fuel efficiency and minimize RPM counts requires hands on experience. To our experienced posters, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    Gary,
    I did change the cabin air filter, it was so dirty (they shoudl have changed it at the dealer). Anyway, with that and also using some of the techniques (double tap, coasting in nuetral) I have been gettiing around 27 MPG now instead of 25, which i am still happy with.

One question i have. I do not have the nav system or the scan gauge. DO you reset your mileage each trip or do you keep it averaging for the whole tank? I have been reseting it after each tank to give me an idea of my average for the two weeks i drive normally.

Thanks!

Mark
    Mark, since I have both the navi and the SG, I have many choices and options. The navi or the econ gauge you have, cannot save all the data for an entire tank of gas. The Scangauge can save more than enough data for an entire tank. The SG also has a running tank average saved from the time you reset it at fill-up. The SG has a "current trip" that automatically reset after a few minutes with the key off. It has a "today trip" that stores your average mileage for the entire day and automatically reset after about 8 hrs of key off (overnight). It also has a "previous day" average to store data so you can compare one day to the next. As if this were not enough, all these stored data can give you things like Highest speed, highest RPM, average speed, fuel used, highest temperature, etc..etc.. etc... Mark, you need to seriously think about getting a SG.

Bottom line, I reset the navi average MPG and the SG at fill-up when I reset the trip OD also. Your econ gauge should at least be reset at fill-up. However, if you get great mileage in the beginning of a reset econ gauge and bad mileage at the end of the tank, your average MPG on the econ gauge will read worst because it dropped the great mileage in the beginning. The oposite is true if you get bad mileage in the beginning of a fill tank but get better at the end of the tank, your econ gauge will report a false higher average. After a reset of your econ gauge at fill-up, after about 200 miles, the beginning data starts getting replaced with current data MPG.

GaryG

Also, I believe that the message center MTE is calculated based on the average econ and an empty value of about 13.7 gallons used, so if you always reset the trip odometer at fill-up, you can figure out your current tank MPG at any point before the next fill-up. For example, currently I have AVG ECON=36.0, MTE=131, and trip=342.9. Therefore, my current tank MPG is about 342.9/(13.7-131/36)=34.1MPG. My scan guage currently reads 34.6.
    So I guess my FE is improving slightly during this tank, or all the number are within the margin of error.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner hybrid owner View Post
    I picked up my new Mariner hybrid a few days ago. Haven't had it very long but so far love it!

I previously wouldn't buy an SUV but now have to admit I do like the size and convenience - for me, hybrid was only way I'd buy an SUV.

For other hybrid SUV owners .... so far, I'm not getting the mileage I'm supposed to .... not even very close. I'm hoping it's just that it's not "broken in" yet. I'm basing this on the info relayed through the navigation/hybrid reporting system - not on actual calculation of gas used and miles driven - I would think it would be fairly accurate though. I drive a mix of city and highway miles. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of getting a personalized license plate - another thing I would not have done before. I'd like to draw attention to the fact that it's a hybrid. My husband is against the idea. It may be kind of corny but, why not? Any suggestions?

Tax incentives - not sure how this will all come out. Since I paid quite a bit more for the hybrid version, it would be nice to make up some of that with a tax break. I ordered the vehicle - best I could tell, there was no way to negotiate so I paid full price - ouch! When I ordered it, I thought the tax deduction I'd hopefully get would only apply if I got the vehicle in 2005. Now looks like there may be a better deal for people getting hybrids in 2006. So far, the Mariner is not on the IRS approved list for 2005 deductions but I figure that will change. Am I out of luck for the 2006 credit?

As for creature comforts - the Mariner is very nice - has just about anything I could wish for!

Glad to be a new hybrid owner :-)
    Welcome to the family! You will get excellent information here. Browse through some of the threads in this forum, that is what i did and found excellent tips. You will find that Gary G is the King of Hybrids, take his information to the bank!

I have a 2006 hybrid and I am not getting the posted MGH, but did not really expect to. You usually won't get the posted MPG in any car, but several miles less.

Regadless, i do get great mileage for an SUV. A lot depends on where you live as well as "re-learning" how to drive. Driving the hybrids is so much different. I have increase my MPG by about 6 MPG in the two months i have had the car just by driving differently.

I am currently at about 28 MPG in the hilly suburbs of pittsburgh, PA. I recently took a trip to Cleveland and got 35 MPG which was great!

I consider myself more of the average driver and trying to keep the car in EV mode as long as possible is my challenge. I try to coast donw hils at under 40 MPG as much as i can, start of slow from a stop (hard to do with people on your butt, ut they can wait) and just keeping the RPM's down to get into EV mode as much as i can.

You will hear alot about the "double tap" method to get to EV mode. While i am not sure i have perfected this, i can say that it is more of a double pump for me rather than a tap. You really ust have to experiment and discover this on your own.

Enjoy your new vehicle!

Mark

Fake Shift - Gary?

Gary,
    I have been reading most of your posts, even went over to "greenhybrid.com" to read some over there. I see you had a run in with a couple of other "hypermilers" who dissed your mileage ways. I am still on your side!! You have proven your methods.

Anyways, I am not a die-hard hypermiler yet, but do take bits and peices from your responses and have increased my MPG by several miles thanks to your techniques.

Can you give me the short version of how to do the fake shift? I am not clear on this and not sure how it helps.

Thanks so much!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    Gary,
    I have been reading most of your posts, even went over to "greenhybrid.com" to read some over there. I see you had a run in with a couple of other "hypermilers" who dissed your mileage ways. I am still on your side!! You have proven your methods.

Anyways, I am not a die-hard hypermiler yet, but do take bits and peices from your responses and have increased my MPG by several miles thanks to your techniques.

Can you give me the short version of how to do the fake shift? I am not clear on this and not sure how it helps.

Thanks so much!!

Mark
    Thanks for your support Mark, but I think I have everything under control with the site owners now. Many people interested in what I've learned and want to share to help everyone improve their mileage, stepped forward in my support, so I returned to GH and 2 other sites.

The reason I'm going to Hybridfest to compete in the MPG challenge is to show the fake shift and how I've used it to improve my mileage. The results will be documented by others, not just me with a video.

Like everyone else, I can't drive in the best conditions all the time, but I've learned to drive the best way possible in all conditions for me. In the big cities, everyone drives like their trying to get away from a bomb behind them. There are other choices to get where you need to go just as fast, it just takes some planning.

In short, the Fake Shift I do is in "L" is to recharge a very low HV battery to go EV again. You don't have to do a double tap when you let off the gas pedal in "L" to go EV. It can be done with a near full battery also. Try shifting to "L" and letting off the accelerator in "L" to go EV under 40mph Mark.

GaryG

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    The reason I'm going to Hybridfest to compete in the MPG challenge is to show the fake shift and how I've used it to improve my mileage. The results will be documented by others, not just me with a video.

In short, the Fake Shift I do is in "L" is to recharge a very low HV battery to go EV again. You don't have to do a double tap when you let off the gas pedal in "L" to go EV. It can be done with a near full battery also. Try shifting to "L" and letting off the accelerator in "L" to go EV under 40mph Mark.

GaryG
    Many of us want to thank you for providing us with a ton of information. This is something that is not provided from dealerships. It is also a real learning experience determining how to stay in the electric mode (what should one do and when?) in real world conditions. For this reason, I'm looking forward to obtaining the FEH video (even if it has a price tag) you are referring to in an attempt to speed up the learning curve. Hopefully this video will also provide footage of FEH that do not have the hybrid navigation display.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk24 View Post
    Many of us want to thank you for providing us with a ton of information. This is something that is not provided from dealerships. It is also a real learning experience determining how to stay in the electric mode (what should one do and when?) in real world conditions. For this reason, I'm looking forward to obtaining the FEH video (even if it has a price tag) you are referring to in an attempt to speed up the learning curve. Hopefully this video will also provide footage of FEH that do not have the hybrid navigation display.
    When I first got my '05, I could have been saving a lot of gas back then if I knew what I know now about hypermiling. The video will be free or what it cost me. Hopefully, a link to YouTube or something will make it possible to see at no cost.

Cheers

GaryG

Hi BillyK

Quote Originally Posted by billyk24 View Post
    I have a "new" (I am the first owner for the past 10 days)2005 Escape Hybrid. I bought the car out of state and drove it on the Ohio Turnpike back to Pennsylvania. On the very first day, I got as high as 34.7 mpg going 60mph with the air conditioning off. Last weekend, I took two older folks on a trip to Wheeling WV (Cabelas) and got as high as 35.2mpg going 65mph and again with the airconditioning off. On the way home with the airconditioning on--but not at the coldest setting--I got between 32.5-33.2 mpg via the scangauge II. I am tickled to have this mileage.

Around home with the famous Pennsylvania hills, mileage is between 28-32mpg depending upon how long I can stay in EV without hindering traffic. This is where the real learning occurs. Reading the various posts from experienced users such as Gary G. is quite valuable. Learning the various hybrid techniques (such as "fake shifting"-"double tapping the brake pedal"-"pulse and glide"-shifting between "D" and "L") and how/when to apply them to maximum EV, fuel efficiency and minimize RPM counts requires hands on experience. To our experienced posters, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    BillyK,
    Just wondering what part of PA you are from. I am in Pittsburgh and it would be nice to know a fellow hybrdi owner in the area. I have a Mercury Mariner Hybrid (MMH). We can share our hilly western PA stories!
    Happy Driving!