they are new...the manufacturing and milling
    is so precise it will not make much difference after
    driving for a while...years ago cars had to
    be "broken in"...

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Mariner hybrid - mileage & other ???

I've have been driving the Mariner for 5000mi and have been getting 33mpg on the highway at 55 - 60 mph. In the city I average 31mpg. If I work real hard at it I can get it up to between 34 - 35mpg. these number are off the 15 minute mpg computer and are not based on actual fuel fill ups. I have been very please with the over all performance of the car and styling and interior.

Mariner hybrid - mileage & other ???

I just bought a new 2006 Mariner Hybrid today. I took a long test drive with it, and did realize that it was not going to get 33mpg city mileage that the sticker promisses (at least not right away). But we were driving a 1999 Explorer with 166,000 miles, and getting about 10-15 mpg in town, so I was pretty happy to see 25-28mpg with the Mariner. I'm hoping we can work it up to 30+. Most of our driving will be city driving with very few highway miles.

We had been looking at regular SUV as that's what were accustomed to driving. But right now Ford has 0% interest on 2006 vehicles, and that put the payment on a Hybrid less than a regular SUV. So what the heck -- the dealer just happened to have one in stock, so now we own it. Once we get a few miles on it, I'll report back.

Jim in Bloomington

I purchased a 2006 Mariner Hybrid in May, 2006. It now has about 7,500 miles. During the warm weather, we were getting about 26 mpg, which was disappointing but acceptable. Since about November, our gas mileage has dropped to about 20 mpg. I have computed the mileage manually and my result is the same as the results calculated by the navigation system. I have talked to two dealers and have been told that this likely going to be normal.

I am extremely disappointed.

Hi Jim

There are many reasons why you can get bad gas mileage in the FEH/MMH and most of it is the driver. Because the engine is so small and is a Atkinson cycle, the torque to weight ratio causes you to maintain high RPM's if you drive it like most people on the road today. The mileage is there if you choose to drive for mileage. The power is there when you need it, but that's where you pay the price.

This is why I love my FEH! I drive for the mileage and seldom need the power. Over the past 2 years, I have found ways to recharge the battery with regen and have pushed my FWD FEH up to 70mpg on a 20 mile round trip. Of course this is with mostly EV mode where the best mileage is found in the FEH/MMH.

After relearning to drive with my FEH from my drag racing days, I know how to take advantage of mileage in everything I drive now. My '02 V8 Explorer got ~14mpg and now I can push it up to 24mpg. The Explorer does great on the highway, the FEH does great in city driving.

Wind resistance is the biggest enemy in gas mileage, so drafting large trucks over 45mph will help almost every vehicle. High revolution (RPM) of the crank shaft is the other big enemy of MPG. If you want some tips on pushing the FEH/MMH, see my article at: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/artic...brid--350.html

GaryG

Mileage

I am currently at 25.2 mpg in a hilly Pittsburgh city area. I have had the Mariner for about 2 weeks and love it. it is used at 31000 miles so i do not expect the MPG to go up too much more.

I think the hills are what kills the mileage because the engine kicks on more than if i was in a flat area.

Happy driving!

Adjustment?

What type of "adjustment" can be done at a service call? What woudl they do to get you better gas mileage.

Thanks and happy driving!

Quote Originally Posted by Labbett Family View Post
    I am currently at 25.2 mpg in a hilly Pittsburgh city area. I have had the Mariner for about 2 weeks and love it. it is used at 31000 miles so i do not expect the MPG to go up too much more.

I think the hills are what kills the mileage because the engine kicks on more than if i was in a flat area.

Happy driving!
    Welcome and good luck with your MMH.

First thing you need to check is your tire pressure and I recommend at least 44psi. Your air intake filter and High Voltage (HV) battery filter should be looked at and changed if dirty. The battery filter is located on the drivers side cargo side area with a small access panel. The filter is about $30 but it is important to keep a clean filter to reduce the A/C having to run to cool the battery. The cabin A/C does not need to be running for the Aux battery A/C to demand the single A/C compressor to run for cooling the battery.

Learn to coast in neutral and tap the brake pedal very lightly twice or more below 40mph to shut off the engine and go electric vehicle (EV). If you place the shifter in "L" at ~43mph and let off the gas, you can go EV below 40mph. There is no low gear so you can shift to "L" at even the highest speed of 100mph. However, I do not recommend just driving in "L", so use it to charge the battery with regen braking and to shut off the engine at and below 40mph. Try to find out how to hold your speed in EV (around 35mph tops for most) and I recommend driving with you right shoe off. The accelerator pedal is very sensitive, so watch the assist needle for the amount of assist that will demand the engine on for more torque.

When and if you want to learn all the special techniques I use, your '06 AWD MMH can get 40mpg and over 500 mile per tank of gas (13.5 gals most of the time). If you want to get serious about mileage, check out this article I wrote: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/artic...brid--350.html
    Feel free to ask questions about things you don't understand.

GaryG

Gary G is the man

Gary,
    I have been reading alot of your posts and you are the Hybrid King! So get a crown if you do not already have one!!

Anyways, I will probably have some more questions I am sure. I do try to keep the EV running at around 25-25mph but it is tough because i live in a hilly area and the engine always seems to kick in.

"Talk" to you soon!

35mpg Highway (MMH)

Hi everyone! I just took a trip to Cleveland from Pittsburgh via routes (I dont like the turnpikes). It was about 140 miles or so one way and i was averaging about 50 miles an hour and got 35mpg the whole way up!

I know it is not 40 or 50 mpg, but to me it was great, I am still getting about 27 in the city, which to me is still good.

Anyway, that is my story for today!

Happy driving!