+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 MMH Gas Mileage

Hi,

I got a 08 MMH from the dealer and have 650 miles on it now. My driving is city driving around the Chicago suburbs. The mileage I have been getting so far is not above 24 mpg. That is what the Navigation meter tells me. The MMH I have is a AWD Hybrid. What could be the reason for such a low mileage where as I have seen people reporting 35 MPG?

Does any one else have a similar problem? Also if some one with experience can shed light on this would be great before I approach my dealer, who is around 200 miles from where I live.

Thanks
    RKK

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rkk99 View Post
    Hi,

I got a 08 MMH from the dealer and have 650 miles on it now. My driving is city driving around the Chicago suburbs. The mileage I have been getting so far is not above 24 mpg. That is what the Navigation meter tells me. The MMH I have is a AWD Hybrid. What could be the reason for such a low mileage where as I have seen people reporting 35 MPG?

Does any one else have a similar problem? Also if some one with experience can shed light on this would be great before I approach my dealer, who is around 200 miles from where I live.

Thanks
    RKK
    Hi RKK and welcome

In your area, you can only get E10 (10% ethanol) and this can takes some time (three tanks) for your MMH to adjust the long term fuel maps in your vehicle's computer. The cold weather doesn't help either and learning to get the max out of your MMH will also take some reading and practice.

This last July, a AWD from your area got over 46mpg at the Hybridfest MPG Challenge in Madison WI with E10. I got 61.8mpg in a FEH with E10, but I know changing grades of gas will take some time to adjust.

GaryG

You're not alone on the low mileage front in Chicago. We're getting between 20 to 24 mpg in Chicago. We live in the city and do 99% of our driving in the city. We've got about 1,800 miles on our MMH. Our garage is on the 1st floor of our townhome and not heated. So when my wife, a teacher, leaves for school the ICE (internal comb engine) is constantly running on her 4 mile trip (same thing on the return trip). Unless I'm mistaken, it's because the ICE has to warm up before the benefits of the hybrid kick in. Don't get me wrong, we absolutely love our MMH and we were getting about 31 mpg in the city in the warmer weather.
    It's winter in Chicago, so the warm weather wont' get here until probably May.
    Mike

OK, good and bad then. Good am not alone in that situation and bad that will have to wait until warm season. Will keep my tax credit this year and aim for mileage dollars next year I guess.

Thanks for the replies.

08 FEH mileage

We took delivery of '08 FEH 4WD in September and now have about 6400 miles on it. I have noticed a drop in mpg since the weather turned cold. This is due to the ICE running longer to warm up the engine oil, coolant and cat. converter.

We live in a small town so driving conditions are different from Chicago, but you really need to examine your driving habits if you are only getting 24mpg or less. Try to incorporate as many hypermiling techniques as you can. Example: if you are out running errands, go to your furthest destination first, then work your way back so the car in running at normal operating temp most of the time. Accelerate gently, get a feel for how and when the car engages and disengages the ICE. When the ICE is operating, try to keep the revs under 2500rpm if possible. etc. Use the cruise control as often as possible, even in 40mph zones; this makes a bigger difference than you might think

We just returned from a trip to North Carolina. Got 30.9mpg overall on the highway traveling between 60-70mph most of the time and some of it in the mountains in NC, Tenn. and Kentucky. Last tankful was 32.3mpg at 65-70mph on flatter conditions in Indiana and Illinois. Driving around town, I can get 28-29 mpg even in this colder weather by using some of the milder hypermiling techniques.

Have managed to hit a high of 36mpg on a loop that included some highway, some back roads and a good bit of in town, but that was when the weather was warmer.

I have a 2005 AWD Escape Hybrid and also have a short commute to work at just under 4 miles (short way) or just under 6 miles (long way). This short distance drive is the cause of your so called low mileage. This would be true for any person who excels in hypermiling. The colder weather also contributes to a drop in mileage. All cars suffer in these conditions with the Escape Hybrid sufferring more due to its Atkinson designed engine. Installing front grille opening blocks via cardboard or FIA winter guards do help duirng the colder months. An engine block heater will also help. It is true fuel economy will decrease (at least initially) with 10% ethanol.

Most owners report on improvements on fuel economy after an initial break in period of 3-5000 miles.

08 FEH FWD mileage

Hello!
    Before this, I had a Honda CRV '06 with hard driving and I had about 20 MPG.

Same problem....
    FWD, GA Atlanta, 40F, no heat/AC

Car is only 2 days old.
    Have 138 miles on it now.

Travel distance 75 miles/day, 30% highway, 70% city. I'm trying to follow GaryG's tips, but right after I get out of a heated garage, my mileage is about 17MPG. After 34 miles (one way trip), when i get to my work place, it rises to only about 19MPG instead of the 34 it's supposed to be.

Thanks, and I feel your pain, man.

Quote Originally Posted by VadimY View Post
    Hello!
    Before this, I had a Honda CRV '06 with hard driving and I had about 20 MPG.

Same problem....
    FWD, GA Atlanta, 40F, no heat/AC

Car is only 2 days old.
    Have 138 miles on it now.

Travel distance 75 miles/day, 30% highway, 70% city. I'm trying to follow GaryG's tips, but right after I get out of a heated garage, my mileage is about 17MPG. After 34 miles (one way trip), when i get to my work place, it rises to only about 19MPG instead of the 34 it's supposed to be.

Thanks, and I feel your pain, man.
    With only 138 miles, your fuel trim maps have not had a chance to change from the default settings in your computer. All the other cold weather conditions are not helping either. Regarding 70% city driving, if the engine is not shutting down for EV, your not really going to do any better than a non-hybrid vehicle unless you start using a radiator block and a block heater. I'm assuming you live in a cold climate here.

Give it some time to break-in and ask questions for recommendations to solve issues you may be having. We are all here to learn more about the FEH/MMH.

GaryG

Gary,

It was surprise for me today when I filled my tank...
    Computer already shows 21.03 MPG (gas mileage increased 0.01 during the day)...
    I drove 131 miles from the time i filled my tank completely.
    I drown to gas station for filling.
    Only 4 gallons of gas for 131 miles!
    It's 32.75 MPG!

When will my computer show right result?
    Is it normal or is my computer broken?

Thanks.

First, a manual gas mileage calculation on such a small amount of gas and miles driven won't be entirely accurate. Your "full" state from one tankful to the next could have varied by a quarter of a gallon or so and would throw your results off. Take your mileage calculation over numerous tankfuls for best results.

Second, I have noticed that our FEH's trip computer (we don't have the nav system) does seem to underestimate the mileage when I have calculated it manually.

But I am glad that you are seeing an improvement and that you are happier with the results. Adopt some hypermiling techniques and it will get even better.