+ Reply to Thread

Hybrids- Honda Accord + Toyota Highlander

I own both vehicles. If I knew then what I know now, I would have never purchased the Honda. Not only is the urban mileage atrocious-- 15 to 18 mpg while driving like my grandmother-- but the overall quality of the vehicle is poor. I paid to upgrade to leather, only to find out when I wore throught the plastic seam in a couple of months that my "leather" seats weren't leather after all. The car doesn't even have a spare tire! They give you a can of sealant in case you get a flat. Two thumbs down all the way around.

The Toyata on the other hand, is a great vehicle. Handles better, more thoughtful interior design and panel displays and gets substantiall better city mileage (22-24), even though it is an SUV. The leather seats are real AND you get a spare tire. Imagine that. Much better value than the Honda.

Do yourself a favor and don't make the mistake I did: if you're thinking of the Accord Hybrid, keep shopping!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Why did you "Pay to upgrade to leather" when all Accord Hybrids have leather standard?

Don't think of the electric drive on the Accord hybrid as an economizer, think of it as a supercharger. That car was designed for performance without paying the huge penalty, not as an economy car. Remember, it still has the big V-6 ICE.

Without the electric part, you're mileage would probably be worse.

Ditto on the city mileage with the Honda Accord (more like "rhymes with 'city'"). Taking conservative driving to an extreme, I peaked at 19 miles per gallon. Except for down-hill with a tailwind, I cannot imagine driving conditions that would net someone 29 mpg in the city. Generally pleased with highway (consistently 37 mpg) - too bad this is less than maybe 10% of my weekly useage.

My '05 HAH with 4,600 miles (4 months old)
    averages 23.8 MPH city and 36.5 highway.

If you're averaging BELOW 20 mpg city some-
    thing or some-one is "oops"