+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Wait until 1 Jan to buy your 2006 Hybrid

I GOTTA TELL ALL OF YOU....I'M SHOCKED by the folks that are more worried about a tax credit ....I thought us HEV folks are looking to reduce oil consumption not our own expenses....I guess it reall is not about efficiency!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Um, Dave...it IS about fuel economy, cutting emissions, and ending our dependence on foreign oil. But if we can also save some money in the process, we're entitled to discuss that. I'm just happy to see our government encouraging the purchase hybrids.

Fully Agree Joan !!

Personally, my interest in buying a hybrid was motivated by the environmental issues. Once I began to research I discovered the government (Fed's and state) was giving some rebates to help offset the additional cost of a hybrid power plant.

Lets see... take deleivery on 12/23 and get $2000 tax deduction ($about 600 credit) or wait 2 weeks, take deleivery on 1/2/06 and get a $ 2100 credit.... Hummmm What shall I do ???

OK...so get your new HEV...and hummmm...maybe sit on the side of the raod like the Prius drivers - you can use your tax credit to tow it to the dealer. Ever thought about E85?

Holy Smoley... Thanks for the links. Now all I have to do is get my car dealer to understand it. I ordered my 2006 Hybrid, so I could take possession in January, ( YES YES YES, so I could get the full benefit of the tax credit. The government doesnt often give you anything you know!) and now he tells me that since I ordered it in 2005, it doesn't affect my tax situation... WHAT? THEN WHAT THE HECK IS THE PURPOSE OF WAITING!????
    geeeZE... i THINK he's wrong... and he better HOPE he's wrong, or he'll be doing the paperwork over or lose a sale! I could be bitter about this.

Hmmmmm, sit along side the road and have it towed. Well I've had a Prius for eight months and never been stuck along side the road but have driven by a lot of non-Prius cars that were.

Last I heard it was 33 out of a quarter million and not all for the same reason.

Let's see how far we can exagurate an issue before we get down to the numbers.

Donna, Don't worry about not getting the tax credit. Per the energy bill passed by congress "...the new qualified hybrid motor vehicle credit determined under this subsection for the taxable year is the credit amount determined under paragraph (2) with respect to a new qualified hybrid motor vehicle placed in service by the taxpayer during the taxable year'.

'Placed in service' is not when you made a deposit on it. It's when you drive it off the dealer's lot.

Hi Donna-
    Larry's right. You'll be fine, since your car will be placed in service in 2006.

Hey guys, I think our little discussion might have attracted a troll We hybrid drivers don't play that game...

http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html

L8r,
    Joan

This works by quarters. If Toyota, for example, has sold 60,000 hybrids in the first quarter of 2006, then all those people in that quarter get the full tax credit for whatever vehicle they purchased. Even if 70,000 are sold, they all get that credit. In the quarter immediately following the quarter in which 60,000 is reached, vehicles sold in the following quarter also qualify for the full credit. So, to review, if 60k hybrid Civics, Accords and Insights are sold in the first quarter of 2006, then people buying those vehicles in the first and second quarters of 2006 will get the full credit available. After that, the amount of the credit gets reduced for two quarters, by 50% and 25%, until it is gone. So, for the full year of 2006, you are guaranteed at least SOME sort of credit. An, I highly doubt that any company will be able to move 60,000 in one quarter. Toyota could conceivably do it in two. I highly doubt Honda could do it in less than one year. Though this credit is more than the deduction (the $2000 deduction would only affect your actual tax due by $400-800), it is for a limited time, which will artificially drive up the demand for hybrids so that people can get the tax credit, which might drive up price, which would then negate any benefit from the credit. If you pay attention, this bill actually benenfits the American companies more, as this credit will be available for Ford, Chevy, Saturn and others long after this dries up for Honda and Toyota.

Just saw an article in the Detroit news on the Tax incentive. Nothing really new, but one thing I found interesting is the 60,000 figure, used in the tax law isn't just for one model. It's the total of all tax credit-eligible hybrids and alternative fuel vehicles sold for each automaker. (i.e. all the Honda Civic, Accord and Insights sold are added together; All the Toyota Prius' and Highlander's are added, etc).

Here is a link to the article:
    http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...F01-368848.htm