+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid Hype and Consumer Acceptance

I am no detractor of Hybrids, but I would much rather stick with my girl's '05 civic that gets 35 mpg in town and 40 on the highway. I haven't seen a lot of people promoting the civic hybrids as cost effective versus the gas only civics....i simply wouldn't want one because the gas only civics are so good on fuel economy. Give me a hybrid that consistently gets 70 mpg in town, then I will be impressed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Check out: http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/955.html

This guys averages nearly 75 MPG in a Prius.

Several others with MPG in the Upper 60's and low 70's in both Prius and Honda Civic.

Sure same car and some people only get 40's..it is all how you drive.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

I personally think hybrids have only one good thing about them. They are much more environmentally friendly than standard gas or diesel cars. Now I am not saying that you don't get great gas mileage. I am more than certain you do.

I did a little research and some calcultaions on hybrids. I found that the number one reason people buy a hybrid is to save money on gas. That's logical thinking at it's best right there. Only problem is, you should NOT buy a hybrid to save money overall. If you work out the math, you will find that over the course of 130,000 miles, a hybrid actually cost more in total than their standard counterparts.
    This isn't always true, but usually is.

I also compared other cars to hybrids. For example; A Kia Rio cost $20,553 over the course of 130,000 miles. A Honda Insight cost $24,924 over the same lifetime. The Rio also outperforms the Insight. I am by no means saying that a Kia Rio will knock the pizo out of the Insight, but it runs better generally speaking (top speed, 0-60).

No, I am not a saleman or spokesman for Kia. I have nothing against hybrids either. I think that as the technology and price of manufaturing improves, hybrids will be an easy choice. I also like the enviromental friendliness of hybrids.

In short, I am just saying that if you want to use less gas and lower emissions, etc, etc.; then by all means go buy one. However, if your goal is to save money then a hybrid is not always an economical choice.

You are right that you won't make your money back on gas savings. You can make up for it in other means. One, the resale is quite good compared to a non-hybrid vehicle. Two, if you live in a state where there are HOV lanes (which are less congested), then you save yourself time. And doesn't time cost more than gas (even at $5 a gallon)? Third, you save time again, because you visit the pump less than other people. Fourth, for some, the peace of mind knowing that they are doing something to reduce our dependency on foreign oil and reducing their emissions.

Dan wrote:
    "A Kia Rio cost $20,553 over the course of 130,000 miles. A Honda Insight cost $24,924 over the same lifetime"

What are you basing your calculations on?

Many people here would not buy the non hybrid version of the same car. In most cases, buying the smaller hybrid was an attemp to just save on gas when ever posible. Many also have a 2 car family but one of those cars is the "family" car and driven the most. Just about everyone I know that has 2 cars and not alot of money has the bigger car for family and a smaller car to save on gas. Now that filling up the gas hog is costing $60.00 plus a pop, families have no choice but to pile in the small car (now family car).

It is just stupid to compare the price of the non hybrid version to the hybrid but many non owners continue to do so. The news media seems to run this behavior in the ground and turn off people who are considering a hybrid, this is reckless.

This is my situation and I think many others also who have bought a hybrid: My main family car was a Ford Explorer (I still have it), it gets 15mpg. My second car was a Ford Focus (21mpg) which I sold and bought the FWD Escape Hybrid. The focus sat in the driveway and was only use to drive to work. The Explorer was driven 20,000 miles a year and the Focus was driven 10,000 miles a year. I would never drive the Focus to save 5-8mpg over the Explorer with the family but if it saved 15mpg (twice the Explorer) I would if I could. Same holds true with a non hybrid Escape because it doesn't get 30mpg (the V6 is the hybrid equal only gets 18mpg). It would cost me more in gas to go from a focus to a V6 Escape.

Now I have 15,000 miles in just 9 months on my Hybrid. It has changed my driving habits and I punched out 44.32mpg the other day. My average is about 36mpg from the time I bought it. Most FEH owners are not hypermilers and don't care to be and thats just fine because 30mpg is great in a 5 passenger SUV. The FEH is my Family car now and I am saving over $200.00 a month on gas, I get a Tax break this year and don't forget the 8yr warranty I got on the hybrid system.

With todays gas prices, I could not afford not owning my FEH and its paying for it self.

The federal government has proposed TAXing hybrid cars as a means of coverning short falls in its highway budget programs. Governement ---AKA Congress and the Senate fail to see the importance of hybrid technology as a means of removing us from foreign OIL dependence. Hybrid technology research and developement, alternative fuels and more efficient power plants in automobiles is ESSENTIAL. Big OIL and failing American Automotive industry is going to bust the United States Economy if there is not a national plan for energy independence established. All the major development in new automotive technologies is off-shore and the American automotive industry is suffering. Something has to change real fast. Hybrids is a start...but professional politicians in Washington are totally out of touch with everything.

Can't agree more Guy. The need to put people to work to generate more tax money gives these yahoo's the excuse to squeeze the only things that help this Country. The bribes and kickbacks for contracts are finally starting to come out now and its time Americans think when they vote.

The Country is being ran by WARLORDS who promote their cronies and retaliate against those who speak out.

When they look to destroy the Hybrid incentive, its time for them to get lost.

Gary

Only when the analysts compared the Toyota Prius to the Toyota Camry LE
    did the hybrid ownership experience prove financially advantageous -- but
    barely. Over the first five years of ownership, the Camry is expected to cost
    just $81 more than the Prius.
    However, when comparing the costs of the other vehicles, Edmunds.com
    analysts determined that gas would have to cost at least $5.60 per gallon for
    hybrid drivers to break even if they drove 15,000 miles per year over the five
    years. Alternately, they could break even if they drove at least 37,000 miles
    per year at the current average gas price of $2.28 per gallon.
    Below are the break-even points for hybrid ownership for each vehicle in
    the study.

Model Fuel Would Have to Or a Driver Would Have to
    Cost ... Exceed Annual Mileage of ...
    Ford Escape Hybrid
    (vs. Ford Escape XLT AWD) $5.60 37,000
    Honda Accord Hybrid
    (vs. Honda Accord EX V-6) $9.20 60,000
    Honda Civic Hybrid
    (vs. Honda Civic LX) $9.60 63,000
    Toyota Prius
    (vs. Toyota Corolla) $10.10 66,500
    Toyota Prius
    (vs. Toyota Camry) $2.28 15,000

Jake, there are zero staff at Edmunds which think hybrid cars are a good idea, they are quite biased tward large, powerful and fast vehicles.

Their numbers are severely skewed.
    I regained any price premium in my HCH vs a comparable Civic EX within the first year, when gas was about $1.25/g.