+ Reply to Thread

Bright Lights on Prius?

I live in rural Illinois and on my way to work now that it has gotten dark, I am occasionally flashed by oncoming traffic. I wonder how they feel when I actually do show them my brights. I wonder if they think I have the sun in my car?

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? Maybe I just need to get my headlights pointed downward?

I actually find this enjoyable, in a sadistic kind of way because up until mid-August, I was driving a 93 Saturn wagon, and it seemed just about every pickup out there had their lights adjusted at eye level or rearview mirror level - used to annoy me somewhat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Bright Lights on Prius?

When I got my '04 last year, I kept getting flashed by high-beams all the time. So I brought it to the dealer, and it turned out that my lights were in fact not levelled properly. Might be the same in your case...

Bright Lights on Prius?

I also get flashed, and I wondered the same thing. Maybe I will get them adjusted also.

Nancy
    Buffalo, NY

Bright Lights on Prius?

I don't know whether JEZ has the HID headlights on his car, but they can be BLINDING to oncoming traffic if they aren't properly aimed. The Prius with HID headlights has a "levelling" system which adjusts for the load of passengers and cargo. If the "levelling" system does not work properly, HID headlights can be a danger to oncoming traffic.

Bright Lights on Prius?

One wonders why all hybrids don't have HID lights. They typically consume about 35 watts, compared to 55-65 for typical halogen bulbs, yet put out much greater output than halogen bulbs.

It would be just one more small incremental increase in efficiency.

I live in deer country and have installed HID headlights on our Passat (they are OEM headlights like the W8 version of the Passat). Properly adjusted, I never get flashed by oncoming traffic. But indeed, HIDs do have to be properly adjusted.

Mike G.

Bright Lights on Prius?

Thanks for the info. I will take it to my dealer immediately.

Bright Lights on Prius?

I get flashed occasionally but not all the time which sounds not like too bright or poorly aimed lights but something else. How's this for a possible explanation. I note that the Prius lights are made so that the edge between light and no light is sharply defined. Point the lights at some wall that shows this. Normally when driving that boundary is pointed down enough so that the lights don't shine in oncoming drivers' eyes. But is you car hits an undulation in the road it rocks up and down. The oncoming driver sees this as your lights flashing. They think you are flashing at them and they flash their lights to show they didn't have their high beams on!

Now, if your lights are not pointed correctly this problem would be worse, so getting proper adjustment will help. But, if my explanation is correct, there will still be times when you'll get flashed just after you hit an uneven portion of road.