Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Adding Acetone in gasoline

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Good one, Bill! Thanks!

To all you doubting Thomases, I refer you to the following link: http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

This guy must be a scientist, and he has been doing this since just after WWII, which makes me wonder if he learned about it in the service and perhaps this has been covered up.

I have a 2000 Insight. I have been adding 3-5 oz. of acetone to each 10 gallons of gasoline. I have done it about 80% of the time I fill up for the past 14 months. No question about it, I have gotten a dramtic improvement on my gas mileage, on gas that is 91-93 octane-rated, with the 10% ethanol mix part of the year.

The 10% ethanol makes my car buck and knock. It hates it. With acetone, the bucking and knocking go away. This is saving my engine, my exhaust, my lifters, my cam shaft, etc. And according to this guy, who presents exhaustive data (lol), it is good for the environment. The only bad thing about acetone is that the oil and gas guys won't like it if it catches on (which makes me wonder if some of the naysayers here are reps for the oil/gasoline industries - don't laugh, this tactic is used at political sites and letters to the editor sites all the time). In every other consideration, it is good. Good for your engine. Good for you exhaust. Good for your mileage. Good for the environment. Good for my budget.

Don't be surpised if your cars bucks violently the first few days. This was the acetone cleaning out my system. After that, smooth sailing. I have gotten as high as 80 mpg on the highway. I have averaged, with the help of cautious driving, 73 mpg over a weeks-long period. Overall, my mpg improves by about 20%!!!!! I cannot wait to drive from Illinois to California in September to see what I can average on a long trip.

A tip: Acetone is difficult to pour. I use a stainless steel turkey baster with an injector tip to move the acetone from the can to my tank without spilling. Afterward, I rinse the baster and the pure rubber bulb immediately and let them dry. Acetone evaporates quickly. I do wonder if over time the acetone will break down the rubber bulb on the baster, but so far, so good.

By the way, that link has other great ideas about motor oil, plugs and filters. The guy is a fanatic who has spent decades researching this stuff. Check it out and benefit.

"which makes me wonder if some of the naysayers here are reps for the oil/gasoline industries "

I'm a real estate appraiser. I graduated from Kettering U, and saw the article in their alumni mag. Neither I nor they have any interest in selling oil.

By the way, Mr. "acetone evaporates quickly," that is absolutely true, and constitutes a nice little shot of unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. There's a reason why the EPA made auto manufacturers stop using volatile solvents in auto painting over 30 years ago.

acetone works great, ive been using it for 5 months with great results, my norm mpg is 26-28 and with about 2oz per 10 gallons my mpg is 32-35, runs smoother and quieter. but the ethanol makes my car run crappy

Hey Bill if you don't like the acetone idea then don't use it. Adding hydrocarbons to the atmosphere is the least of my concerns. I work in an idustrial plant and you should see what goes into the air from here. Acetone " GOOD", big business oil companies "BAD". For the rest of the doubting thomas's keep spending your money on gas, I'd rather put mine in my pocket.

what am i doing wrong ?added 4 oz to 18 gallons no ipmrovment at all for 1st 50 miles

I read an article about the use of acetone and the explanation of its effects on hydrocarbon blends used for automobiles and some made sense.

Personally I'm a professional degree qualified Mechanical Engineer (in practice for the past 12 years) and have been rebuilding engines and cars as a hobby for approximately 25 years, so originally I was prepared to take the risk of using acetone as I could easily replace any defective part that may have faied due to its use.

Tried acetone for eight months and on going, adding 60 ml to 40 L of unleaded petrol to 1998 Toyota Corolla 1.6L injected, to my surprise acetone does work. Use to average on straight petrol city cycle 450Km, now averaging 495Km, highway cycle surprise 553Km on 40L of fuel. And by the way no ill effects on the car and the driving style is "keep up with traffic and don't be left behind".

Gone back to straight petrol for a tank load and actually done 435Km out of tank, was shocked, since I fill up at the same servo every week.

If anyone wants to try acetone ensure that you don't use ethanol blend, you'll actually loose potential fuel economy, tried it on 5% blend, only achived 458Km. You'll also start to see fuel economy increases only after roughly the third tank, once most of the less volatile compounds and water on the bottom of the tank have been exposed to acetone.

If you think the potential fuel economy is worth the risk of exposing fuel system parts and 40000ml of unleaded petrol to 60 ml of acetone than do it, if something does fail due to acetone usage see what you can do to stop it front from happening again. Also don't forget all mechanical devices have a finite life span and will eventually fail, so don't balme acetone if your fuel pump is 20 years old.

Do not listen to pompous stooges, make your own experiments, thinkkkkkkkk, otherwise be a Lemming and cope it sweet on chin.

Aaaaaa, yeah to all who may ask the question the daily is the Corolla the weekender is a Charger, and no it is not designed for fuel economy and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Good Luck

It also appears that some people have trouble adding acetone to their tank, use a graduated (and oh my god) standard 60 ml plastic syringe, you will not get any spillage even my wife can use it. Yes you can even take it to servo in freezer bag and it won't spill.

And surprise the syringe is not disolved by the acetone. Acetone will only disolve certain rubbers and plastics.

Good Luck

This is why

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wonder how much you will save if you cause damage to your fuel injection system. Personally, I would avoid unproven addictives unless you have deep pockets. If this was the answer to higher fuel mileage, why isn't it in the fuels already?
    Erhem,

The reason that acetone is not already in fuel mixtures is simply because the goverment will not allow it. The goverment puts up a show to suggest that they do give a cats hiney about the oil crisis, but in all reallity, they don't. Why should they if Bush is sucking up millions of dollars from the oil companys?