+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Adding Acetone in gasoline

All you folks concerned about dmage, please do some research. Many folks have done experiment soaking various rubbers and plastics in gas with much higher concentrations of acetone- no problems. Also, I have read that acetone is the main component in many off the shelf additives.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

The amount being proposed in tiny.

I believe that the bigger mpg increase will be realized with less efficient engines, esp those with carbs. I'm gonna try on lawnmowers first.

As to why isn't already in gas if it is so good? As with anything, follow the money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

re; some guy
    Oct. 22, 2005

Been adding acetone to fuel in my 99 Sierra. No change in MPG but better performance and smoother quieter drive. As I was warned the acetone has really cleaned the tank. Had to change the fuel filter which had become seriously full of crud.

This made a much bigger improvement on performance and ride. But I'm still on the first tank since changing the fuel filter. Even if it doesn't improve MPG I'll keep adding it. Time will tell just what the deal is.

I hear a lot of scientific pro's and anecdotal skepticism about acetones effect on the fuel system parts. But since finding that many commercial fuel/fuel system additives contain
    5-15% acetone I feel comfortable using it.

re: Richard
    Dec. 18, 2005

I'd be more concerned about water getting in the fuel. Regardless what fuel you're burning water is going to screw things up. I'll bet service centers can't wait for gasohol.

My car is not a hybrid, it's a 1997 ford crown vic V-8, it has a 4.6 engine, i've driven a few hundred miles using acetone, and seems to have a little more power and at last fill up I checked milage and to my supprise my milage has incresed from 25 mpg base to 26.6 and thats not a whole lot but an extra 1.6 miles per gallon, this will add up over time. Thanks Jim

I for one do not think adding Acetone is a good idea. Have any of those who tested Acetone on rubber and other materials test the acetone under pressure or heat? Also from doing countless tests on "so called octane boosters" I have found that many will leave deposits on the piston heads and spark plugs because of different combustion temperatures from that of your pump gasoline. Has anyone checked to make sure that if the Acetone is not dissolving fully in the gasoline that it may also be leaving ugly deposits? Also Acetone is fairly cheap but you still are buying something to add 1-2mpg (on average) to your car. In my opinion it is the same as someone driving 20 extra miles to save a few cents on gasoline. You might want to do the math (depending on your car) and figure if this is really worth the risk. Another note: If octane is really being raised by acetone “most” cars will automatically retard for higher or lower octane. If you drive a normal pump gas car the ecu will automatically rich or lean gas levels to its preferred levels depending on the rating of your car. One day someone will prove me completely wrong but internet testimony just won’t cut it for me.

This product sounds to me like it's pure acetone in pretty packaging and smart advertizing. The big cans of it even look like acetone cans. I wonder if they just peel the label and then sell them?

http://www.xtane.com/

It may be a big screw up to my car while I'm using 3 ounces for every 10 gallon of gasoline in it but, so far it is running much smother and has more pep than before adding the acetone, if you have ever used B-12 in your car as a carburator cleaner, if you read the ingredients you will find it contains acetone along with other cleaning agents so, I'll run her with acetone till she blows cause, she's running so much better with acetone than she was without. Thanks mr Lapont for letting me know about this and I take my hat off to you sir.

adding acetone has increased the gas mileage in my 2001 Silverado. I am adding it at the recommended rate of 2 oz. per gallon. As others reported I imediately noticed that my already quiet engine was even smoother than before. As Far As Richard Goes ... There is always going to be a Doubting Thomas in every crowd. Many commercially available additives already contain Acetone. Richard, the reason the gasoline producers do not add this to the fuel is Blatently Obvious.. IF YOU GET BETTER MILEAGE FROM THE FUEL YOU WONT HAVE TO BUY AS MUCH FUEL. They market cleaner burning fuel. Less emmisions, Hmmm did they mention a mileage increase, I'll bet not!

Here's my brain storm on a possible reason why Acetone is not added from the refinery. My degree is not in chemistry nor do I claim to be one. So if a chemist can prove me wrong then please do so and explain why. I'm always willing to listen and learn.

Given Acetones' affinity towards water and the fact that a pertoleum company can not control the type or age of the holding tank it goes into, adding Acetone to raise octane would impart unacceptable risks to the company. The problem here is that those old fuel tanks in the ground at your local gas station behave exactly like your vehicles' tank only on a larger scale. Over time, water can, in small amounts, build up and settle out to the bottom of the tank. Adding Acetone to the mix might spell disaster for the company once the new fuel came into contact with the trace water in those tanks. Can you imagine what would happen if the media found a pattern of damaged fuel systems due to excessive water in the fuel? Acetone may be easy for you to add to your fuel but it's too big of a risk for big oil. If you choose to add it to your tank, "more power to you." If not, hey what ever floats your boat.

Ethanol is currently added to automotive gasoline in many US locations at the rate of about 5.86% to 10%. In some U.S. states its higher. Ethanol is not added at the refinery since it can also cause gasoline to absorb water (like acetone) as it is shipped from the refinery through pipelines to local tank farms. It's added at the tank farm prior to delivery by truck to local retail fueling facilities.

If you are worried about your gasoline absobing excess water because of the addition of 2-3 oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of fuel, clearly, you've been spending too much time "educating" yourself on the internet and not enough time in a in the classroom with accredited qualified instructors.

T.S.